Sign in to follow this  
Stone

Thanksgiving 2012

I'm trying to decide whether to get a Quattros bird for Thanksgiving. If I recall correctly, Quattros is about $6 a pound (I don't really remember), and they're about $1.50 a pound at the supermarket. Apparently heritage birds are gamier and have more dark meat. Real Americans don't want this. Will they complain?

• Like 3

I'm trying to decide whether to get a Quattros bird for Thanksgiving. If I recall correctly, Quattros is about $6 a pound (I don't really remember), and they're about $1.50 a pound at the supermarket. Apparently heritage birds are gamier and have more dark meat. Real Americans don't want this. Will they complain?

The white meat is much better, so no they won't complain.

But how much less white meat will there be?

But how much less white meat will there be?

Roughly 50/50 white meat to dark meat, where commercial turkeys are about 70% white meat.

If they are complainers (e.g., Jewish family members), they will complain.

If they are complainers (e.g., Jewish family members), they will complain.

Yeah, but they're also from the Mid-west. So they'll ask for more ketchup.

CathyL has been very enthusiastic about heritage turkeys, but at over $100 a bird, I am still inclined to go for capons, or brined wild turkey.

ETA: Okay, capons are the same price as heritage turkeys per pound. They're just smaller (and I rarely need to feed twenty people).

Years ago I ran into a the husband of a MF member at a social gathering in early December. I remember that his wife har posted about buying a heritage Thanksgiving turkey and I asked him how it went.

"It was a nice bird but it wasn't $100 nice."

The birds we get aren't exactly heritage but they are pasture raised and come in two varieties: white and bronze. Higher dark to white meat ratio than mass-produced. Fresh slaughtered and never frozen. No drastically oversized breasts to figure out how to cook properly when roasting a whole bird. I think we pay $2.50/lb but I can't remember.

My family members aren't terribly adventurous eaters but everyone likes it. Definitely not gamey like wild turkey.

Leftover dark meat and a higher bone-to-meat ratio means excellent soup on Friday and lots of stock in the freezer.

How much turkey for 35-40 people? A big bird and a big breast?

Doesn't sound like enough. If you have the oven space, I'd cook two 15-18 lb birds and two breasts. You could grill (or even smoke) one of the birds if you are short on oven space.

How much turkey for 35-40 people? A big bird and a big breast?

Doesn't sound like enough. If you have the oven space, I'd cook two 15-18 lb birds and two breasts. You could grill (or even smoke) one of the birds if you are short on oven space.

I may deep fry one.

Ya, SLBunge's advice is good. I'd get two medium ones and extra breasts. And that way you can roast one whole for the people who need that and cook the rest in better ways. I've done that in the past for a 30 people and it worked well -- the regular people got what they want and I did too.

Hmm. One in the oven, I could get two breasts in the smoker and another in the deep fryer.

Or maybe just a big turkey and a smoked brisket or two.