Sign in to follow this  
Stone

Thanksgiving 2012

What other mains are traditional for thanksgiving? I'm told that I can't do a smoked brisket.

maybe being single wasn't so bad.

What other mains are traditional for thanksgiving? I'm told that I can't do a smoked brisket.

How about a regular brisket?

Venison (that'll show them to turn up their noses at smoked brisket)

Whole striped bass baked in a salt crust (actually, I did this one year, I think, when The Princess came for T-Day)

Yeah, ziti.

WHAT?!?!?!

You're not, anymore? Did I miss something?

Venison (that'll show them to turn up their noses at smoked brisket)

I'm working on that.

a few years ago I had fried turkey done by someone who doesn't cook, and who certainly shopped at his local supermarket in a poor part of ohio, and it was really, really good. far better than the stuff my dad, who is a decent french cook, makes. and he pays as much as he can for everything. I'm sure that daisy is right about how to make a good turkey, but frying really appears to be idiot proof. it's definitely what I'll do whenever it's my turn to host, assuming I have outdoor space again. (I saw dude drop it in the frier and it's not something I would want to do indoors.)

if you have to feed that many people I would buy one nice turkey for the people who care, and cheap stuff for everyone else. and I wouldn't mention which one was which or what I paid etc.

The only downside is that you need to buy a propane burner and a very large pot. Both of which will be rarely used.

They frequently go on sale at Home Depot. I think I got my fryer set up (still unused) for $25.

a few years ago I had fried turkey done by someone who doesn't cook, and who certainly shopped at his local supermarket in a poor part of ohio, and it was really, really good. far better than the stuff my dad, who is a decent french cook, makes. and he pays as much as he can for everything. I'm sure that daisy is right about how to make a good turkey, but frying really appears to be idiot proof. it's definitely what I'll do whenever it's my turn to host, assuming I have outdoor space again. (I saw dude drop it in the frier and it's not something I would want to do indoors.)

if you have to feed that many people I would buy one nice turkey for the people who care, and cheap stuff for everyone else. and I wouldn't mention which one was which or what I paid etc.

The only downside is that you need to buy a propane burner and a very large pot. Both of which will be rarely used.

Call me crazy, but I actually prefer to cut up the turkey before deep frying. The best turkey I've had was cut up pieces which were marinated and then fried, served with a dipping sauce and salt.

For the past few years, I got a heritage bird. Last year we decided it was just too lean. So this year I'm ordering, from the same farm, their broad breasted white turkey.