Sign in to follow this  
Stone

Thanksgiving 2012

a few years ago I had fried turkey done by someone who doesn't cook, and who certainly shopped at his local supermarket in a poor part of ohio, and it was really, really good. far better than the stuff my dad, who is a decent french cook, makes. and he pays as much as he can for everything. I'm sure that daisy is right about how to make a good turkey, but frying really appears to be idiot proof. it's definitely what I'll do whenever it's my turn to host, assuming I have outdoor space again. (I saw dude drop it in the frier and it's not something I would want to do indoors.)

if you have to feed that many people I would buy one nice turkey for the people who care, and cheap stuff for everyone else. and I wouldn't mention which one was which or what I paid etc.

The only downside is that you need to buy a propane burner and a very large pot. Both of which will be rarely used.

Call me crazy, but I actually prefer to cut up the turkey before deep frying. The best turkey I've had was cut up pieces which were marinated and then fried, served with a dipping sauce and salt.

For me, cutting up the turkey before any cooking is the only way to go. You can cook for different durations and temperatures, etc.

We don't present the roasted bird prior to serving, so that's not a consideration.

i'm going crazy this year: i'm considering sausage-apple stuffing instead of my regular oyster stuffing.

can anyone suggest an acceptable and easily available brand of gluten-free croutons, or some other plausible replacement*? a number of my guests have succumbed to the gluten-free fad that is sweeping the nation and i have bad memories of what the super-expensive gluten-free croutons i bought last year did to my lovely stuffing.

*broken-up rice crackers or puffed rice?

Udi's is the gf bread I normally buy. It comes on white or wholegrain. Either or both work as croutons for stuffing. I bought a bag of pre-made gf croutons last year and I can't recall the brand. It was the only one on the shelf. It worked well and cost something crazy like $7. I also made stuffing with gluten-free cornbread which turned out very well. GF cornbread is pretty good as substitutes go.

one of my guests has complicated issues with corn as well. it was better when people were willing to suffer physical harm for the sake of the greater convenience.

one of my guests has complicated issues with corn as well. it was better when people were willing to suffer physical harm for the sake of the greater convenience.

This recipe, about half way down, looks like it might punch your ticket. Crackers, along with the usual onions, garlic, celery, carrots, etc in the stuffing.

However, you should know that our mix has changed since we wrote this. For these crackers, we used 40% millet and sorghum, 60% potato starch and sweet rice. It’s working for everything around here right now. But that 40%-60% is all you need to know to make up the flour mix that works for you.

Cheese crackers

a few years ago I had fried turkey done by someone who doesn't cook, and who certainly shopped at his local supermarket in a poor part of ohio, and it was really, really good. far better than the stuff my dad, who is a decent french cook, makes. and he pays as much as he can for everything. I'm sure that daisy is right about how to make a good turkey, but frying really appears to be idiot proof. it's definitely what I'll do whenever it's my turn to host, assuming I have outdoor space again. (I saw dude drop it in the frier and it's not something I would want to do indoors.)

if you have to feed that many people I would buy one nice turkey for the people who care, and cheap stuff for everyone else. and I wouldn't mention which one was which or what I paid etc.

The only downside is that you need to buy a propane burner and a very large pot. Both of which will be rarely used.

Call me crazy, but I actually prefer to cut up the turkey before deep frying. The best turkey I've had was cut up pieces which were marinated and then fried, served with a dipping sauce and salt.

For me, cutting up the turkey before any cooking is the only way to go. You can cook for different durations and temperatures, etc.

We don't present the roasted bird prior to serving, so that's not a consideration.

We're doing this for the first time this year. Paul is excited because he'd rather part the bird out in advance, when there is nothing else going on in the kitchen, than carve the bird while trying to make stock, etc.

I always find it's better to just make a small "other" dish for the special requests. I couldn't stand to be at a Thanksgiving which only had gluten-free stuffing or whatever.

well, yes. there will be a regular stuffing. but i do want to make a gluten-free stuffing for my guests with restrictions. this will be a small "other" dish. and no one has made any requests for it: it is just that i have a heart of gold.

squibble: thanks for the udi's recommendation. our local co-op carries it.

well, yes. there will be a regular stuffing. but i do want to make a gluten-free stuffing for my guests with restrictions. this will be a small "other" dish. and no one has made any requests for it: it is just that i have a heart of gold.

squibble: thanks for the udi's recommendation. our local co-op carries it.

Oh sorry, not totally following along.

Not for any gluten issues but I've made a wild rice/hazelnuts/sausage stuffing which has gone over well.

i live in the upper midwest. nobody would ever make such a demand; they would just come and eat a very limited meal and say how great it was to have so much to eat.

a recipe/rough indication for that stuffing?

i live in the upper midwest. nobody would ever make such a demand; they would just come and eat a very limited meal and say how great it was to have so much to eat.

a recipe/rough indication for that stuffing?

You should see the spreadsheets people make out here for our friends Thanksgiving potluck parties. Multiple columns of "allergies" and special requests. It's comedy.

My recipe is similar to this one: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Wild-Rice-Stuffing-with-Hazelnuts-and-Dried-Cranberries-102482. I think the original idea might have actually came from that issue since the timing is about right. In any case, it's basically the same, but I sauté crumbled sausage first, remove when browned, add less butter and go from there, adding the crumbled sausage back in before baking.

Anyone have a good non-oyster, stuffing/dressing recipe?

Cornbread recipes? It should include bacon grease.

Any good pumpkin pie/cheesecake/ice cream recipes?

Thank you.

Oh -- my cousin's allergy request:

XXX is allergic to corn (including corn syrup, dextrose, maltodextrin, cornstarch), lemons, cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, and grapes. She can't eat sugar or sugar substitutes (including glucose, evaporated cane juice, stevia, aspartame, saccharin, stevia, sucralose, xylitol, erythritol, etc.), fruit or fruit juices, and vegetables (except green beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes).

Family heirloom bourbon and pecan yams

Recipe?