Sign in to follow this  
Suzanne F

Cracker Barrel Cheddar

Doesn't she also like Hellman's mayonnaise? There are a lot of chefs who use it, just not publicly lest they lose their hoity-toity cred.

The very sharp, white Cracker Barrel was always in the fridge when I was a kid. I liked it with apples, or on a Triscuit.

A package of sharp white Cracker Barrel is always on hand in our fridge & I just opened the door to verify that there's one (partially gone) there as I type this. We don't buy and eat it instead of other cheeses (like the half eaten Humbolt Fog sitting on the shelf right next to it) but it's pretty good eatin' and we've always liked it. Maybe I'll drop Jenkins a note and welcome him another step into my world.... nice article.

Steve (both of them -- but mainly the one I know personally and trust implicitly) convinced me to get some of this stuff. I don't think I've eaten it since college.

It's good. For something picked off the dairy shelf in my supermarket, kind of remarkably good.

Thanks, Steve(s).

yeah but you live in NYC. Fresh Direct carries a heap load of much better cheddars. We always got cracker barrel from Fresh Direct at my old firm, and it is as steve describes it, its better than fine - but given the options here, why eat it?.

Right there in the dairy case.

(Fresh Direct used to not come to Brooklyn -- or at least not to the ghetto which my neighborhood used to be. So I got used to living without them. I never bothered to find out when they started delivering here.)

Oh that's what I do.

I'm like Steve. This is in my refrigerator along with some pretty expensive cheeses.

Just an impulse grab in the supermarket.

Right there in the dairy case.

(Fresh Direct used to not come to Brooklyn -- or at least not to the ghetto which my neighborhood used to be. So I got used to living without them. I never bothered to find out when they started delivering here.)

it was just the ghetto they were avoiding. i had them in park slope. they seem to have a strict ghetto avoidance policy. doesn't matter if it's a rich or poor ghetto, if it's mostly "urban" population they will not deliver there. think your ghetto became acceptable to them a while ago

In that case, I'll change my policy of passive avoidance to one of active avoidance.

they lost most of their trucks in the storm anyway.

I like some of it in mac n cheese for color.

Achiote.

heh, well she's getting that with her current method.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Not that there's anything wrong with it.