Mass-Market Food Products That Are Actually Good

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread lists a few.   Seemed worth discussing in its own right.

I'm a fan of peanut butter. I'll have to find Adams and give it a try. I thought Arrowhead Mills Valencia peanut butter was pretty good for the sort of wholesome style, peanuts only type. I put it

Interesting to be involved in the process. I was the last of a number of segments Love filmed that day. He was doing them in one take (which isn't easy, believe me). He fluffed his last line in my

In addition to the stuff I mentioned on that other thread:

I consider Maille mustards as mass market, and I like them fine. More bite to their Dijon than Grey Poupon. And I could eat the grainy stuff with a spoon. Tin mustard (the brand, not the metal) is very good, but Maille is okay enough that I don't need to seek it out. (Mustard we do use.)

We like Perugina 70% bars. Nicely cocoa-y, and we got used to their being slightly sweeter than higher percentage chocolate. Lindt, otoh: feh.

While it's possible to offer a house-made ketchup which is better than Heinz, it's also easy to offer one which is worse. I know they're obvious, but Heinz ketchup and Hellman's mayo are consistent, decent products.

Yes, consistency has a lot to do with it. It's really hard to have a consistent product when you're working with food. The big guys can do what they need to, first to test, and then to tweak the flavor, measuring in high-tech ways the artisans probably can't imagine. ("What's a refractometer? What do you mean, measuring degrees Baumé?" :huh:) When I worked for a food manufacturer, our "quality control" consisted of the folks in the office (accountant, receptionist, marketing and sales) tasting a new batch against an old batch or two from the freezer. (Since the product was sold frozen, that's not necessarily a bad thing.) In other words, totally subjective, and no control whatsoever. And if the new batch didn't "match," there wasn't a whole hell of a lot I could do to fix it. 'Cause the ingredients were inconsistent anyway due to seasonality, storage, etc.

I consider Maille mustards as mass market, and I like them fine. More bite to their Dijon than Grey Poupon. And I could eat the grainy stuff with a spoon. Tin mustard (the brand, not the metal) is very good, but Maille is okay enough that I don't need to seek it out. (Mustard we do use.)

I'll admit that I'm a Colman's man. I always have a tin of Colman's English mustard in my pantry and I use it like some would use French's.

I'll admit that I'm a Colman's man. I always have a tin of Colman's English mustard in my pantry and I use it like some would use French's.

No problem. Colman's is my preference for dry. Cannot make macaroni and cheese without it. And, while we're on the subject, white Cheez-its for the crumb topping, mixed with whatever shredded cheeses have gone into the white sauce base. (Only white Cheez-its. No other cheese cracker will do. On that I am adamant. Well, maybe orange in a pinch, but preferably white. And only Cheez-its.) Most of my highly picky MFF guests who have eaten my mac 'n' cheese already knew, so I am not giving away any state secrets.