• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Platt's three star review (out of five).   Seating (obviously my number one concern):     Aged meats? Check.     Odd thing about this review, although Platt clearly likes some dishes, he d

Would it deter or encourage people to lay out $180 plus tax, tip and beverages, and undergo the reservations ordeal he describes? Doesn't that need orgasmic?

It's a little weird that parts of the site are built like single-page apps with Backbone.js (i.e. the restaurant-specific reservation pages), while others look to largely be generated server-side (e.g

If I'm not clear, hipster authenticity--meant unironically--doesn't encompass fleecing rich people in the nicely whitewashed backroom of a garage. It means all those wonderful, positive artisanal trends we hear so much about.

If it a rip-off,

They are purporting to sell a cutting-edge gastronomic experience in cool, edgy urban setting.

(Taking LiquidNY at face value, and making the further assumption--which might be quite wrong--that his experience was typical):

They are actually selling a rip-off disguised with a veneer of hipster authenticity

Please note, I don't think they are doing the latter, but it would be a fair accusation if LiquidNY's experience turns out to be typical of Blanca going forward.

Yes. Even if it's not a rip-off, they're still selling "hipster authenticity" and they're very credible salesmen.

Whoa.

If it's not a rip-off, then that's what they're selling, no quote-marks required.

If it's a rip-off, they're selling a fraudulent version of it.

Be careful how you scatter your quote-marks.

Oh, that's interesting. Can't it be "hipster authenticity" even if the food is great and it's a total value? In some ways, the very act of marketing how they do makes it inauthentic, even if it's great. It's the same way you can have a great formal French restaurant that's selling "old world luxury" that's not really, you know, old world luxury.

If I'm not clear, hipster authenticity--meant unironically--doesn't encompass fleecing rich people in the nicely whitewashed backroom of a garage. It means all those wonderful, positive artisanal trends we hear so much about.

Hipster authenticity means esoteric knowledge as means of gaining social status.

Oh, that's interesting. Can't it be "hipster authenticity" even if the food is great and it's a total value? In some ways, the very act of marketing how they do makes it inauthentic, even if it's great. It's the same way you can have a great formal French restaurant that's selling "old world luxury" that's not really, you know, old world luxury.

You have completely lost me. Are you sure you followed what I was saying?

Hipster authenticity means esoteric knowledge as means of gaining social status.

I can't tell whether this meant to contradict my post, or be consistent with it. More likely, it's just a parallel comment, but I'm not sure.

Are you saying hipster authenticity is merely about (somehow) gaining social status?

It's about how you gain social status (this is one of the nice points in the Greif piece). So a place like Blanca may be a packaged, inauthentic hipster experience even if it's serving really good food, because it's actively transformed something that was authentically hipster - the secret Roberta's tasting menu - and has packaged and slicked itself up to sell to rich Manhattanites. You can't gain hipster credibility from eating at Blanca, while you could gain it from the Roberta's tasting. So whether it's authentic or not is somewhat divorced from whether it's a rip-off.

I think that's a parallel point.

(oh, and it can still be a rip-off and be authentically hipster. they're distinct things.)