Paris Questions - Only a Few

I'm excited about the cocktail recommendations as well. I'm having dinner at Pirouette next Saturday, with a 9:30pm reservation, so I think I'll go to Conserverie first for cocktails.

I was at ECC (NYC) last night, and the first recommendation of one of the bartenders was Conserverie.

My lunches are shaping up as Vivant Table, Septime, Spring, Le Galopin and 1 or two others. Trying to make a res at Abri has proven to be next-to impossible; I got them on the phone but they wouldn't speak English with me (stating in English, after I asked in Frech if they spoke English, that they don't speak English).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to make a res at Abri has proven to be next-to impossible; I got them on the phone but they wouldn't speak English with me (stating in English, after I asked in Frech if they spoke English, that they don't speak English).

Their French isn't that great either.

Trying to make a res at Abri has proven to be next-to impossible; I got them on the phone but they wouldn't speak English with me (stating in English, after I asked in Frech if they spoke English, that they don't speak English).

laugh.gif Well, mine is limited to a few words here and there...but I am always trying!

Do you speak Japanese by any chance?

laugh.gif Well, mine is limited to a few words here and there...but I am always trying!

Do you speak Japanese by any chance?

Enough for them to tell me they'll only speak to me in poor French laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Table d'Aki

I think if they don't replace those horrible LED lights their days are few.

A couple of the preparations were exceptional (the scallops, bravely warm but raw, and plaice with girolles, especially), a couple just ok, but his insistence on ingredient quality and not padding the meal with nonsense means it's very little food.

It's impressive that he cooks alone.

Service is poor and charmless. We didn't have any issues, but at the table to our right, a somewhat pregnant woman bit into her scallop after requesting everything be fully cooked, and then was clearly just sitting there for the rest of the evening panicking. Another table was offered a dish without mushrooms even though the allergy was elsewhere, a third was made to wait for a very long time after the waitress obviously brought their dishes to another table that was half a course behind... and this with a fixed menu and just six dinner parties.

Very basic wine list.

Table d'Aki

I think if they don't replace those horrible LED lights their days are few.

A couple of the preparations were exceptional (the scallops, bravely warm but raw, and plaice with girolles, especially), a couple just ok, but his insistence on ingredient quality and not padding the meal with nonsense means it's very little food.

It's impressive that he cooks alone.

Service is poor and charmless. We didn't have any issues, but at the table to our right, a somewhat pregnant woman bit into her scallop after requesting everything be fully cooked, and then was clearly just sitting there for the rest of the evening panicking. Another table was offered a dish without mushrooms even though the allergy was elsewhere, a third was made to wait for a very long time after the waitress obviously brought their dishes to another table that was half a course behind... and this with a fixed menu and just six dinner parties.

Very basic wine list.

Those lights are indeed horrible, especially for a woman, like me, in her late forties. The scallops dish was the best of the night, but the rest were not all that fabulous -- the dessert, a dacquoise, though tasty, was far too simple and small. The cost/value ratio is not ideal.

The cost/value ratio is not ideal.

I thought he should charge twice as much and offer twice as much, but that would be a really hard trick to pull of with one person in the kitchen.

We had repetitive saucing (primarily butter or soy based) and scarcely a veg. -- I thought he should have charged less, and I wasn't interested in eating more. Also, where we were sitting, by the door, it was freezing and I had no desire to stay longer or linger. Perhaps in comparison to the brilliant dinner at Saturne the night before, for the same price, La Table d'Aki just seemed too ordinary in terms of technique and variety.

Best meal - lunch at Spring. Dinner at Le Galopin was fairly great - but don't go to dinner there after lunch at Spring.

Vivant Table - excellent cooking, precious plating which took a long time to come out of the kitchen.

Abri - amazing what they're doing for 22 euros at lunch.

La Verre Vole - a perfect Sunday night meal, and my wife is still talking about the staff.

A La Biche Au Bois - classic place, if not the most perfect food (although my canard sauvage was fine). And the ouefs mayonnaise were textbook.

Candelaria was tons of fun for excellent cocktails.

I thought he should charge twice as much and offer twice as much, but that would be a really hard trick to pull of with one person in the kitchen.

We had repetitive saucing (primarily butter or soy based) and scarcely a veg. -- I thought he should have charged less, and I wasn't interested in eating more. Also, where we were sitting, by the door, it was freezing and I had no desire to stay longer or linger. Perhaps in comparison to the brilliant dinner at Saturne the night before, for the same price, La Table d'Aki just seemed too ordinary in terms of technique and variety.

Yeah, but even though Saturne is very good, they served us pollack for fish, which is maybe less repugnant than Frenchie's nile perch (esp, since French people seem to like it for whatever reason), but still... different focus.

Yeah, but even though Saturne is very good, they served us pollack for fish, which is maybe less repugnant than Frenchie's nile perch (esp, since French people seem to like it for whatever reason), but still... different focus.

We had turbot at Saturne. In fact, each "protein" was quite special. (I simply am not interested in eating rouget, pork shank, etc. in restaurants, anymore (if I'm in charge of the reservations).

We had turbot at Saturne. In fact, each "protein" was quite special. (I simply am not interested in eating rouget, pork shank, etc. in restaurants, anymore (if I'm in charge of the reservations).

I don't remember ever being served a "cheap" or inferior fish or meat at Saturne. Frenchie, yes.

First time for everything.

I don't even know they think of it as cheap or inferior (de ligne, after all, makes everything better), but that doesn't make it less of a pollock, nor did it make the saddle of deer we had (overcooked, chewy, barely manageable with the given knives) any more impressive - although it came with incredibly great sauce and sides. Maybe an off night, maybe they have to pay for over-expanding (16 staff last night serving as many diners), who knows.

8223901662_2548982a0f_z.jpg

p.s. that jambon is lovely.

First time for everything.

I don't even know they think of it as cheap or inferior (de ligne, after all, makes everything better), but that doesn't make it less of a pollock, nor did it make the saddle of deer we had (overcooked, chewy, barely manageable with the given knives) any more impressive - although it came with incredibly great sauce and sides. Maybe an off night, maybe they have to pay for over-expanding (16 staff last night serving as many diners), who knows.

8223901662_2548982a0f_z.jpg

p.s. that jambon is lovely.

Maybe because Monday is a tricky fish buying day?