Paris Questions - Only a Few

First time for everything.

I don't even know they think of it as cheap or inferior (de ligne, after all, makes everything better), but that doesn't make it less of a pollock, nor did it make the saddle of deer we had (overcooked, chewy, barely manageable with the given knives) any more impressive - although it came with incredibly great sauce and sides. Maybe an off night, maybe they have to pay for over-expanding (16 staff last night serving as many diners), who knows.

8223901662_2548982a0f_z.jpg

p.s. that jambon is lovely.

hey hipster sherry in Paris!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wine list is pretty awesome. Matured from just random hipster Loire and such to a very good well rounded list. Had a lovely bottle of Jour de Fete from Brignot, and the Champagne by the glass is Lassaigne... very much producer focused, and very reasonably priced.

As I think has been noted (by Ori) - I never met so many Parisians who want to be New Yorkers.

Waitress @ Saturne: "New York, it is my dream."

New guy @ Spring wine: "I'm from the LES" (obviously not). "My GF is from the EV" (obviously not)

It's funny.

1. First time for everything.

I don't even know they think of it as cheap or inferior (de ligne, after all, makes everything better), but that doesn't make it less of a pollock, nor did it make 3. the saddle of deer we had (overcooked, chewy, barely manageable with the given knives) any more impressive - although it came with incredibly great sauce and sides. Maybe an off 2. night, maybe they have to pay for over-expanding (16 staff last night serving as many diners), who knows.

1. Hey man, speaking of first time for everything, is this your first time in Paris ? I'm seeing quite a few extremely amateur maneuvers being performed on your end.

Je m'explique.

Monday night at Saturne ! :blink: Are you serious ? Tuesday, dude. Or Wednesday or later. But not Monday !

2. Nope, this quality issue ain't about "over-expanding". I still contend that this issue is often a lunch vs dinner financial phenomenon.

People blew off Chambo when he did his quantitative dissertation on this nuanced lunch/dinner dilemma.

I advise you all to go re-read it. It's totally on point. I have a large set of data points on Saturne.

Ignore Chambo at your peril.

How does this lunch menu look ? It was an excellent meal and fault-free from a food focus. The only real issue was a serious lack of staff.

IMG_3525.jpg

3. And when you're done bitching about your biche, listen up carefully :

Saturne ain't about the doe, it's for the birds.

You should know that.

I just remembered that you've been to Paris once before and you might have even eaten here previously.

Still think it's on the verge of deux etoiles ? Still going to give Chambo a lame relativistic argument to support that unsupportable thesis?

Let's move on ...

If I recall correctly, didn't you have pigeon here previously ? Didn't you learn anything from that ?

Orik, Orik, Orik ... uggggggggh ... what are we going to do with you !

Listen up : Saturne ain't about the doe, it's for the birds.

Stop stop stop stop stop ! I don't want to hear any lame excuses about un menu fixe, that you don't get to choose what's on the menu, etc.

Phones work in France !

It's your job to be well-informed. The pros are. Chambo is.

Now all that said, you can indeed have a pretty awesome dinner here. But not on Mondays ! :lol:

Example A :

(p.s. that bellota-bellota doesn't suck)

IMG_2869.jpg

Let's now move on to important matters ...BAMBI !

You got your Eyes Wide Open, Stone?

You don't do deer dans le deuxieme pres de la Bourse!

Be a man and eat a manly deer.

On mange du chevreuil à Vivant - Vivant Table.

And you eat there at LUNCH. And you don't do the sucker's menu carte blanche.

And you ignore Chambo at your peril !

And don't expect the menu to stay the same for very long at all. (Although that boudin noir keeping going and going and going ...)

Oh yeah ... @Stone : that's la gigue ie la cuisse ie the thigh ... ever chew on a man's thigh, Stone ?

Trust me, no one's eaten a more delicious thigh than that. Looks good, non ?

Oh yeah ... that not-so-little, perfectly-seared, almost-molten-on-the-inside hunk in the foreground ... that's what we in France call foie-gras.

Oh yeah ... that's no misprint ... that's 29 euros for the entree - plat. By the way, my venison dish was worth more than that.

IMG_3624.jpg

IMG_3630.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg

By the way, Bienvenue a Paris.

I'm Chambo. I'm the mayor here.

First time for everything.

I don't even know they think of it as cheap or inferior (de ligne, after all, makes everything better), but that doesn't make it less of a pollock, nor did it make the saddle of deer we had (overcooked, chewy, barely manageable with the given knives) any more impressive - although it came with incredibly great sauce and sides. Maybe an off night, maybe they have to pay for over-expanding (16 staff last night serving as many diners), who knows.

8223901662_2548982a0f_z.jpg

p.s. that jambon is lovely.

oooh, and hirotake ooka

PS that "hipster sherry" is made by one of the nicest but also most long-winded man in the world.

As I think has been noted (by Ori) - I never met so many Parisians who want to be New Yorkers.

Let's be honest: not just New Yorkers.

Yeah, the more sophisticated ones want to live in Carroll Gardens, specifically. (not even joking)

eta: Chambo, your advice and mayoral decrees are well-heard, but lunch is simply incompatible with our current virtual time zone. laugh.gif

Then go to Sola when lunch and your time zone become compatible.

It's an Orik type of place.

And note that the lunch there now requires you to wolf down both un poisson et une viande. (And if you opt to post real-time pics of your meal in this linked-to thread, I'll shout out "Hola ! Sola ! " as soon as I see your foie gras photo. If not before. They almost always have some version of it as you should now know.)

Previously at Sola, you used to chose either un p ou une v.

Hence, prices have naturally increased to account for the extra protein but this place is easy to describe - it's excellent and appropriately priced. For lunch.

That said, I do prefer the "either or" option cuz now I'm forced to eat a bigger lunch than I usually desire. Hence, I'll go less frequently. :(

Ignore Chambo at your Parisian peril !

Personally, the large incremental cost to dine there doesn't meet Chambo's approval when you can go for lunch. Others may be happy to pay up quite a bit for a few additional dishes of similarly good products prepared with precision.

But not Chambo !

Chambo believes in markets and Chambo believes in disciplining markets. If only everybody acted so judiciously ... our options would be so much better. But they don't ... so they aren't.

And why not lunch every now and then, followed by a dinner chez vous ?

You can always pick up one of the cities best baguettes at Kayser. Yep, you heard that right. Kayser rue Monge (and not the Kayser "bio" place a couple of doors down). And don't cut the frickin' line during evening hours ! Otherwise Chambo will smack you but good with his umbrellla.

Ignore Chambo at your peril !

You don't want to be limping around Paris, do you ?

Oh my ! Oh my oh my. It's lunch time already ! Gotta run now ...

(By the way, Saturne aside, have you noticed that Japanese chefs are taking over Paris's nextgen bistros ? )

And why not lunch every now and then, followed by a dinner chez vous ?

Well, since a lot of my current business takes place between une heure and sunrise in Paris, I think the only way lunch would work is to wake up around minuit, work, then go for coffee as lunch and for lunch as dinner, and go to bed around 5pm. Maybe I'll try that next time.