Sign in to follow this  
Stone

The Deer Project

I'd love to see a pic of your saddle of venison. I always think it's a good looking hunk of meat. One of my favorite cakes is rehrucken kuchen which is baked in a mold and decorated to resemble the saddle

This isn't really a "saddle" shot. But you get the idea.

8222529962_338d711aa6_z.jpg

This is looking down at the top/back of the ribs. The neck is at the top, and I'm separating the backstrap from the left side of the spine:

8221460315_f665d31ebf_z.jpg

... There's a big, fat doe right in front of me. I could have spit on it. It looks at me. I look at it. It knows that I don't have a doe permit. It saunters away looking for some food.

At the shot, the doe jumped up, turned around and dropped. It didn't even kick. We waited to see if a buck would come out after it, but it was getting dark. We walked down to the doe.

I just noticed, you mentioned that you didn't have a permit to shoot a doe. But you did, anyway?

Not judging, just clarifying. . .

I was in a different area. I didn't have a permit in Zone 4Z. I had one for my neighbor's land, Zone 3F.

Ah, I see.

Regarding bears, do a lot of people in your area eat bear? Or do they hunt them for the pelts? One of my co-workers (an avid hunter and trapper) doesn't do bear because it's not very tasty, or so he says.

(I've eaten bear in Japan, but I was so drunk I don't remember much about it.)

Between the furniture making and now this, I have increased my bet that says there is no way you are Jewish.

I've been thinking the same exact thing.

I haven't met anyone who has shot a bear. Up until last year, there were no bear permits issued near me. I suspect that bear hunters will be a mix of people eating them and those who only want the trophy. We have had more bear sightings in my county recently -- my neighbor with all the land sees a few each year. I've never seen one. I have no desire to shoot one.

Bear tastes fine, but I'd rather pay for some non-Jewish person to hunt stuff for me (except fish, which doesn't count).

I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of the butchering and stuff. Didn't someone on eG once do a pictorial on that stuff? More recently someone showed the butchering (?) of a Canada goose.

Or maybe you could post a link to a flickr album with all the pics? If you want, that is.

An aside, if you eat mostly game all year round, you'll have high hemoglobin levels.

There's a fair amount of bear hunting in MN and WI. I would say that most of it is about trophy hunting rather than hunting for food or pelts. Certainly there are old-timers who still cook and eat bear and render the fat for candles or lamps. Mostly, when eaten, it is at some sort of game dinner and it's often poorly cooked.

I think that now, deer hunting is often about trophies rather than food.

We've got wolf hunting and trapping now. Pelts and trophies.

Oy vey. I guess I gotta go buy some stupid hats. I apologize in advance for the skinny jeans. They wont be good for anyone.