Wilfrid

The Way We Eat Now

This could go in the NBC thread, except the guy is based in Los Angeles. A series of comments by Thornton, and his interlocutor Dana Goodyear, in the current New Yorker really capture the Zeitgeist. Chef as legend; eating as quest.

Thornton is thirty and skinny, five feet nine, with a lean, carved face and the playful, semi-wild bearing of a stray animal that half-remembers life at the hearth. ...Lost boys flock to him; at any given time, there are a couple of them camping on his floor, in tents and on bedrolls.

He once lost fifteen pounds driving across the country because he couldn’t bring himself to eat road food.

[A guest:] “He is obsessed with obscurity, which is why I love him."

[Thornton:] “Cooking is creating a big fucking problem and learning how to solve it.”

Being presented with a plate of Thornton’s food often feels like stumbling upon a crime scene while running through the woods.

Emoticons are not enough.

Running a tiny operation with a set menu allows Thornton to buy, in small quantities, ingredients that are impractical for most regular restaurants: too expensive (watershield, a kind of Northwestern lily pad)...

Thornton told me. “They know with me I don’t care what something costs.”

The apartment was quiet and dimly lit. Small pelts were draped here and there; a preserved rat bobbed in a jar...

Prince Zaleski kept a mummy in his apartment.

Thornton rarely has a chance to test dishes, and much of what he makes he has never eaten before.

[A guest:] "He never makes the same fucking flavors twice,” he said. “They’re rainbows. You can’t catch them."
  • Like 7

Oh. This is just great.

He dresses in moody blacks and grays, with the occasional Iron Maiden T-shirt, and likes his jeans girl-tight. His hair hangs to his waist, but he keeps it tucked up in a newsboy cap with cutouts over the ears.

Just possibly, the change in guests' demeanor during the meal from reserved to jolly, may have to do with something other than the food.

From Earth, to farm, to cryovac, to flux capacitor....

I'm waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop out and tell the diners they've been Punk'd

126413.JPG

:lol:/>/>

not sure if this is in response to my comment about Thornton's childhood but it was a serious one (although perhaps others have not read that far into the story)

seems pretty harmless after growing up in a boarded trailer with a pair of mentally ill sadistic neo-Nazi drug addicts

126413.JPG

:lol:/>/>/>/>

not sure if this is in response to my comment about Thornton's childhood but it was a serious one (although perhaps others have not read that far into the story)

seems pretty harmless after growing up in a boarded trailer with a pair of mentally ill sadistic neo-Nazi drug addicts

Nope, I didn't get that far into the article. I just thought the cartoon was funny and in-line with everything else in the thread. I didn't realize until looking back now that the cartoons that appear next to online content are randomly inserted (I thought it was part of the article when I posted it.)

It really made me grateful for the craftsmanship and relative relaxedness I experienced at Bite Club and Um Segredo.

Did you go?

(it seems more LA than NBC)

ETA: not a snark - if you went, post about it. Would love to read the write-up.