Wilfrid

The Way We Eat Now

It really made me grateful for the craftsmanship and relative relaxedness I experienced at Bite Club and Um Segredo.

Did you go?

(it seems more LA than NBC)

ETA: not a snark - if you went, post about it. Would love to read the write-up.

No, I've never gone (haven't been in LA in 20 years). This was my reaction as I was reading the article

• Like 6

A well wisher on Twitter tweeted this, with the suggestion I share it here:

BCrzq4-CUAAp2j-.jpg

I do business with those people

Restaurant I went to last night boasted it's own special quirk. Dishes would come out in the correct order, but strictly one by one. This meant you either shared, or the two of you took turns eating. Hopeless if one diner wants to order something the other diner doesn't like. And I guess parties of six get a mouthful per course.

Restaurant I went to last night boasted it's own special quirk. Dishes would come out in the correct order, but strictly one by one. This meant you either shared, or the two of you took turns eating. Hopeless if one diner wants to order something the other diner doesn't like. And I guess parties of six get a mouthful per course.

Easy way to kill this one: take six people with you, then take turns eating a five course meal.

:D

It's as if new restaurants desperately seek yet another alternative to just bringing out the food in a normal way.

The problem is that, in their heart of hearts, they don't believe that people aren't going to share.

And in most cases now, they're right.

:D

It's as if new restaurants desperately seek yet another alternative to just bringing out the food in a normal way.

It gives servers yet another opportunity to say "Let me explain how our menu works."

The problem is that, in their heart of hearts, they don't believe that people aren't going to share.

And in most cases now, they're right.

In this case, they weren't "share plates." In other words, it would be a mistake to order three dishes and have two people share them. That wouldn't be nearly enough food.

Let me tell you how our menu works...

No. As I'm paying, let me tell you what I'd like you to do, and don't tell me you can't because restaurants have been doing it for over two hundred years.