Conversely, last night I went to a Vietnamese restaurant with a vegan date.  I wasn't interested in what she was ordering, and she wouldn't eat what I was ordering. 

So we didn't share. 

And each ended up ordering way too much.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This could go in the NBC thread, except the guy is based in Los Angeles. A series of comments by Thornton, and his interlocutor Dana Goodyear, in the current New Yorker really capture the Zeitgeist.

No, I've never gone (haven't been in LA in 20 years). This was my reaction as I was reading the article

How many people actually like to share what they order, though? You might let someone try a bite, but that's not sharing.

My last vegan date was at Buddha Bodai, whose gluten bogus meats/shellfish, with juicy shrooms and springy noodles, made for fine Cantonese-American sharing. 

Her love of Tibetan culture via its local flavor of Buddhism ignores how little veg there is in that mountainous cuisine. So I never dreamed of suggesting a NYC Tibetan or Nepalese restaurant. Sheep and yaks are too big to not share.

Conversely, last night I went to a Vietnamese restaurant with a vegan date.  I wasn't interested in what she was ordering, and she wouldn't eat what I was ordering. 

So we didn't share. 

how does that work without fish sauce? 

So we didn't share. 

how does that work without fish sauce? 

This is Brooklyn.

And I didn't ask.

we eat out in mid-sized groups a fair bit: groups of 4-8. when in restaurants whose food makes sense to share we do large group orders and share (with multiple orders based on guidance from servers). when not, we don't. this doesn't seem like such a complicated issue.

It’s complicated by the growing expectation of sharing where it’s not appropriate to do so. It’s not confined to New York, although it would be nice to think it isn’t universal.

Chicago acquaintance in an obvious fine dining context, “Let’s get some apps for the table.”

Right.  It's complicated when you go to a place like Frenchette (or, God forbid, Le Coucou) (no, that hasn't happened to me yet) with a group of four or six and everyone wants to share, and they all look at you like some kind of eccentric grouch when you say that they can but you won't.

Right.  It's complicated when you go to a place like Frenchette (or, God forbid, Le Coucou) (no, that hasn't happened to me yet) with a group of four or six and everyone wants to share, and they all look at you like some kind of eccentric grouch when you say that they can but you won't.

i will say that at places like that in the twin cities (spoon and stable, for example) where we order individual starters/mains/desserts we do often take small bites/tastes from each other's plates. barbaric, i know.

• 2 months later...