• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's too busy thinking about stuff to pay attention to chicken.

I made the roasted sweet potatoes with figs. Used a combination of fresh and dry figs as the fresh figs were obscenely expensive. Simple dish, quite good. But then, when are roasted sweet potatoes

Had no idea he existed until my recent trip to England. My friend cooked a few recipes from one of his cookbooks for me. It was all very good, a little quirky, with great "in your face" flavors.   A

Not yet. Haven't had time to read through it for ideas. I don't run to make something from a new cookbook. (In fact, I don't even crawl. I've barely skimmed some of my 1100+ books.)

But when I do try something from it, you'll be the first to know. Right now, I have leftovers from the North African-ish bean and veg stew I made last week, and last night's leftovers from Malai Marke I need to work into a dinner. ;) Oh, and some whole-wheat pizza dough that I'm thawing to top with (left over) porchetta-style roast pork. So Yotam and Sami will have to wait their turn.

• 3 weeks later...

I made the lentil & celeriac dish from Plenty last weekend – Puy lentils with barely cooked celeriac, dressed with chopped toasted hazelnuts and mint, red wine vinegar and hazelnut oil. Way too delicious – couldn't stop eating it.

Great tip on the kindle edition of Plenty. Have you looked at it? I read a review saying the ingredients were formatted strangely in the kindle edition. Is this true? If it isn't a big deal I will buy it too.

Made the stuffed eggplant with lamb and pine nuts. Fabulous dish - impressive to serve. It's an easy dish to make. You spend more putting together the ingredients than really doing active cooking. My one criticism is that despite all the spicing of the meat, it could have used more salt. The recipe calls for baking for 1.5 hours, but because the eggplant has already been cooked through as has the meat mixture I think 45 minutes is enough. The leftovers are also good.

Made this one this evening. On your advice, I salted a little heavily from the start. Delicious. I went the full 1.5 hours to let the marinade concentrate. I also zapped everything under the broiler for 5 minutes at the end. I recommend this.

I improvised a salad with the parsley I had left over - very thinly sliced yellow onion and peeled cucumber with chopped parsley, dressed with Meyer lemon juice, toasted walnut oil, S&lotsofP. Perfect foil to the richness of the dish. I made the full recipe, even though it was just the two of us. I look forward to using the leftovers on a 'pizza'.

Great tip on the kindle edition of Plenty. Have you looked at it? I read a review saying the ingredients were formatted strangely in the kindle edition. Is this true? If it isn't a big deal I will buy it too.

nigella's how to eat is $3.47 for the kindle version

i own the hardcover version of plenty but also bought the kindle version, well worth it for $3.50

I haven't looked at it yet because I can't find my kindle (I'm sure I put it somewhere I could find it easily ...). I had it downloaded to my computer so I could transfer it later.

There are other cheap titles. splinky mentioned How to Eat, but also Michael Ruhlman's Twenty is under $4, Essential Pepin Desserts is under $6

An update, it looks fine on the kindle app for my phone. Still haven't found my kindle, though.

Whew. I was afraid that soup was in Jerusalem. I have the basic ingredients mentioned, but no time to make it.

BTW: Jerusalem is a finalist for a Beard award in the International category, along with Naomi Duguid's Burma and Maricel Presilla's Gran Cocina Latina. Tough to choose, for sure.