Sneakeater

Louro

And to be honest, I was being a bit snarky: look at all the stuff on places like Acme (and Torst and Aska and others) for descriptions of how the Noma ethos has been (mis)interpreted here in NYC. It's not their fault, necessarily (those kids, I mean). Or maybe it is. I don't know. Ask Orik.

Granted, one visit, but Acme didn't misinterpret the NN ethic (Mads helped birth the monster!) it made it into bistro food and Burns ran the pastry department at Noma, so I doubt he's misappropriating the ethic either (certainly that's not the criticism I've heard).

If anyone is going to do it right, it would be those guys.

Perhaps. But my meals there told me that they did not understand some of the principles: see the disgusting roasted carrot that had burning yew wafted over it. The purpose of pine and its ilk in echt New Nordic (if I may mix ethnicities) is to replace lemon, as it has an acidic flavor profile. You don't get that from the smoke; all you get is ash. To me, that's not following what I have learned about the replacement of nonnative flavor elements with what is locally available. YMMV.

There meaning which one? Acme?

That's a good point. The problem is that guys can't figure out what New Nordic is. If you think of it as a local and foraged only philosophy combined with a set of techniques (mostly modernist plus aging/fermenting/raw) and a plating philosophy then you've got to come to the conclusion that McCrady's or probably even BHSB is more in line with the New Nordic principles than Acme and we've got Modern Australian/International Fancy Food.* But if you say that NN is actually a set of ingredients (which, yeah, seems to go against the fundamental principles of the cuisine) and a set of flavours (herbal, medicinal, etc) then all these places are properlyt interpreting New Nordic principles but, as you say, what's the point? I guess, at the end of the day, it ends up being the latter and you've got a bunch of Epcot Center restaurants, even if they're pretty good Epcot Center restaurants (or not).

*I come back to my post about Cafe Sardine in Montreal when Alex was there - after two months at Noma, he came to the conclusion that it's all Michel Bras, and ended up with food that looked little like what you see from the NN copycats elsewhere.

Thanksgiving dinner at Louro was just what the good doctor ordered, and Dave did fine by it.

Since we had similar meals to Suzanne and Paul (great meeting the two of you as well, btw), no need to go into how good the food was - our 2 orders of rib-eye were cooked perfectly (hers ordered more medium than mine), and it's fun to have a nice hunk of steak on Thanksgiving. Yes, that mushroom puree was all that.

More Nosa Messas are in my future, that's for sure.

COMP DISCLOSURE: A few of those white truffle pierogies - a match made in heaven.

Truffle menu this Monday in case anyone is interested.

Amuse

Uni and grapefruit with white truffle

The Adventure

Striped bass tartare with white chocolate pudding, arugula, black truffle vinaigrette

The Classic

Poached duck egg with Anson Mills creamy polenta, White truffle

The Pauper Puts on a Dress

Seared pollock with winter bean ragu, black truffle butter

The Unexpected

White truffle pierogi, caramelized onion broth, crispy onions

The Surf and Turf

Dry aged beef with fried oysters, cream of spinach, black truffle jus

Dessert

TBD

No better deal in NYC baby!

I can't imagine anyone's being free that night (and solvent) and not going.

i agree (alas, broke the bank on the stuff in Piemonte). these dinners are so much fun and the BYO is great. if i could, i'd be there every Monday

also, did i mention the oysters with venison? (served only at Nossa Mesa dinners so far. Hint, hint, Chef ;-) )

(snip)

also, did i mention the oysters with venison? (served only at Nossa Mesa dinners so far. Hint, hint, Chef ;-) )

Oysters with venison sounds wonderful.

Anybody going to Truffle Dinner on Monday?

I'll need help drinking my wine.

(Maybe Dave can help.)

I'm not sure if I can make it to the whole thing because I have a late work night, but I can help you finish your wine :)