Sneakeater

Louro

The pickled oyster salad mentioned above was indeed terrific, with Dave's usual mastery of texture contrasts (soft oysters, crisp/chewy pork, crisp tempura watercress). We also loved the kibby goat, which we'd never had before: really great flavors of goat and lemon cream.

The NJ herring fra diavolo (gifted by Dave) was like some super red-sauce dish: the fish had muscle, and the sauce met it with spice and oil and flavor. And the cavatelli provided a perfect pasta base for it all. (Another gifted mid-course was still a work in progress: delicious and comforting, but not ready for prime time.)

I've always been able to trust Dave with proteins, but it's the other stuff that make the plate stand out. The roast chicken was everything chicken should be (and so much better than most in flavor, texture, and juiciness), but the "caraway pudding" was astonishing, and the pickled pear cubes were refreshing. Everything worked together with the mahi mahi (which, btw, was cooked just beyond rare, a very welcome temp for a fish that often is cooked beyond death). Paul had no memory of the pickled banana puree, although I was sure we've had it with other fish (and looking back over this thread confirmed that). It's another of those surprising touches.

One of the new desserts--molasses pudding, brown-butter cookie crumble, vanilla ice cream, candied pecans--was described by the server as "deconstructed pecan pie." But pecan pie is usually made with syrup, sweeter and less flavorful than molasses, so this was better. We were too stuffed to finish it, alas. I think the desserts have been steadily improving.

In case anyone needs something fun to do this coming monday!

Feb 10th $65 per person starts @7pm
A denizen rum dinner
We are gonna take a look at the history of rum and create a tasting menu to celebrate that history. On top of that we are gonna create delicious denizen cocktails for the occasion to be paired with dinner. Feel free to bring our wine but the price includes the pairing.

Amuse
Chinese and Indian Origins
pork pot sticker, samosa
Mai Tai
houseade orgeat

Brazil 1620
Red Snapper Crudo
lime, mint, cashews
Caipirissima

Barbados 1651
Mahi Mahi Souse (chilis, cucumbers, pork)
sweet potato pudding
Pineapple Rum Martini
fresh pineapple juice

New England Leads the Way
pollock chowder
New England Rum Punch
cranberry, rum, lemonade

Trinidad and Jamaica
red okra and jerk chicken
Orange and Ginger Rum Highball

Lord Nelson’s Blood
savory rabbit pie
Portuguese Navy Grog

The Dutch
Dutch butter cake with apple ice cream
Hot Buttered Rum

I love rum, and if I didn't have to go to rehearsal I would totally be there. Maybe you could do an encore presentation in the summer?

I love rum, and if I didn't have to go to rehearsal I would totally be there. Maybe you could do an encore presentation in the summer?

Maybe Dave could cater a rehearsal for us one of these Mondays. I'd pay good money for that!

Having not been in awhile, four of us thought that last night's Monday BYOB "Mama Santos' Birthday" dinner would be a fine time to go back, especially since Dave's mother was going to be there and we figured that he'd be at his best doing the foods she taught him ;-) And he was. We're fans to begin with (who around here isn't?!), so we were not impartial going in. No need to mince words here -- there was nothing in the 7course + desserts dinner that I don't think was above average and several dishes that were excellent. The Amuse was Seafood Fritter & a Piri Shrimp, then we received 2 Traditional Salads of Grilled Pig's Ear and Charred Portuguese Sardines, then Soft Scrambled Eggs w/Sweetbreads, then Pork & Clams, then Mariscada, then Feijoada, then Braised Rabbit, then 3 desserts (Flan, Pineapple "Mousse", and Apple Cake). Each (of course) was a small serving, cumulatively adding up to more food than necessary, worth way more than the $65pp he was charging & remaining one of the best deals in the city. If any of the above dishes show up on his regular menu, I suggest you get them. I'm seriously impressed. Great job Dave. Congratulate your mother. :D

• Like 1

I'm thinking of taking B here sometime in the next two weeks.

I've never been. (am reading through the thread from the beginning though)

I want everything on the menu; that's rare for me, having never been to a place. Pork shank seems interesting.

Doesn't that one-star review look even dumber now, in light of some of the other places that have received both one and two stars?

Okay, well I'm a latecomer to the party and I don't think I've ever eaten any of Dave's food so I'm sure it'll be a night to remember....

If the lighting is okay, there may even be pix.

New to posting on this board but have been lurking for years.

Very much looking forward to finally visiting Louro tomorrow and joining in on the conversation!