Sneakeater

Louro

Our Cinco de Mayo celebration will now be held at Chez Moi on Atlantic Ave, where we will have to create our own tuna tartare & smoked salmon tacos. Luckily, they have tequila. (and $1 oysters till 7pm).

you went early? I sat at the bar around 9:45 and you and Ginny were nowhere to be seen.

Of course we went early. We're old. Besides, the oysters are $1 until 7pm & we love oysters. Sorry to have missed you but by 9:45 we were comfortably sitting on our couch, watching something or other on TV.

I always feel like a jerk for not making it here more often. Although my wife pointed out last night that the only places we've eaten twice since the arrival of AB^2 are Louro and Alder.

Anyway - excellent meal here last night - Shrimp Ceviche, Spring Bean Cassoulet w/Poached Turkey Egg, Roman Gnocchi with Morels and Spring Peas, and Shrimp and Rice with Tomatillos, Sunflower Seeds and Jalapenos. Dave also sent out the Marrow with Snails and Asparagus Puree and the Charred Long Beans.

AB^2 had his first Morel and first Snail last night as well.

Everything was really great. Not to harp on it but you can't possibly foot the food being served here as being less ambitious or less well executed than a place like El Quinto Pino whom Wells gave two stars to and which I like - but it just isn't working at the same level, nor is it a lower price point.

Louro is not only New York's most underrated restaurant. It's like New York's five most underrated restaurants.

I think Wells was the only pro critic to review it, and he got it wrong. Unfortunately, there aren't many ways for that judgment to change after the post-opening period has worn off, unless it gets a Michelin star or something like that.

I know some folks were interested last time and couldnt make it. So here is round two!

5 different tacos will be available I wont get to into them at the moment but more then likely it will be
Piri Piri Chicken
Crispy Pig’s Ear

Cilantro Shrimp
Smoked Potato
Braised Goat

But they are subject to change and we will have a selection of veg tacos for our vegetarian brothers and sisters out there

The Deal - $35

10 tacos (2 of each kind)
a carafe of your choice margarita (strawberry, original, jalapeno) (This is the equivalent to 4 drinks)

A la carte tacos will be $2 each and 3 tacos for $5

Margaritas will be $8
Pacifico and Negra Modelo $4

Call to reserve as last time we turned well over 100 people away at the door alone. Large parties are welcome

Great...now you wait till I'm out of the country. Can we coordinate round 3?

I know some folks were interested last time and couldnt make it. So here is round two!

5 different tacos will be available I wont get to into them at the moment but more then likely it will be

Piri Piri Chicken

Crispy Pig’s Ear

Cilantro Shrimp

Smoked Potato

Braised Goat

But they are subject to change and we will have a selection of veg tacos for our vegetarian brothers and sisters out there

The Deal - $35

10 tacos (2 of each kind)

a carafe of your choice margarita (strawberry, original, jalapeno) (This is the equivalent to 4 drinks)

A la carte tacos will be $2 each and 3 tacos for $5

Margaritas will be $8

Pacifico and Negra Modelo $4

Call to reserve as last time we turned well over 100 people away at the door alone. Large parties are welcome

June 9th

http://www.louronyc.com/june-9/

Dave -

any chance that some of these items may be on the menu on Saturday (June 7)?

-----------------------------------------------------

Portugal may gain some supporters for the world cup events, at least at Louro

Join us starting June 12 as we air every World Cup match live! Special daytime menus including our acclaimed Belly Goat Burger, oysters, bites, sandwiches & more. During Portugal games, free shot for every goal the team scores. Louro is Team Portugal’s headquarters for World Cup.

We went to Louro today to watch the end of Mexico vs. Cameroon and the first half of Spain vs. Holland. The menu is a mix of small plates and light entrees from the dinner and brunch menus, plus some drink specials. We split the shrimp tacos, peri peri shrimp, polenta fries, and absolutely wonderful ricotta with smoked honey. N had a glass of citrus sangria; I had a $5 Super Bock beer (from Portugal). There was a table of some very lively Cameroon fans while we were there, who were gracious in defeat. I can see it getting nuts on the weekend, but if you can go there on a weekday afternoon then do.

COMP ALERT: an order of peri peri wings.

Having never been to a Nossa Mesa dinner before, I'm insanely excited for tonight's Summer Vegetarian dinner (my wife is vegetarian, which is why I haven't tried to go to these before). Looking at the menu, what would folks recommend I bring for a wine pairing (probably 1 bottle between the two of us):

AMUSE

HEIRLOOM TOMATO SALAD

MOZZARELLA CURD, BALSAMIC ICE, BASIL

ALMOND GAZPACHO

CHERRIES, CHARRED ONION

STUFFED SQUASH BLOSSOM

TEMPURA, ARUGULA PESTO

CORN AGNOLOTTI

FAVAS, SUMMER TRUFFLE FOAM

SOFT POACHED DUCK EGG

KIMCHI FRIED RICE

DESSERT

Half bottle of Sauvignon Blanc (preferably from the Loire) to go with the first few courses.

Half bottle of Chardonnay (preferably from Burgundy) to go with the last few.

(I hope you weren't expecting anything exotic.)