Sign in to follow this  
Lex

America the Weird – the Lunatic 20%

but what if all those blacks answered lincoln or the civil war? american blacks had to wait almost an extra hundred years for freedom on paper and yet the struggle continues...

I thought about that - "Who did America get its freedom from?"

"The North"

• Like 1

That 20% to 25% figure keeps popping up again and again. I've seen it show up for years. It's not a coincidence. I suspect that the same people hold crazy positions about a whole variety of issues.

I'll update this thread when I see the next poll result. You can bet there will be lots more.

This has been my response over the past 5 years whenever anybody at works brings up some new poll that 20% of Americans believe....

(e.g. I'm sure you could find 20% of Americans who think Michael Jackson was killed by ferrets. That Obama is the lizard cousin of Kevin Bacon from V the Final Battle. That milk is worse than smoking for your children. Whatever.)

eta: I love the idea of it being the same 20% though. :lol:

This has been my response over the past 5 years whenever anybody at works brings up some new poll that 20% of Americans believe....

Serious question --In Europe, when you get out of the cities, do you have rural areas filled with people who believe the Earth is 7,000 years old, Jesus is coming very soon, the government shouldn't be taxing wealthy people to pay for lazy people, etc.?

Another thing I noticed is there's a group that seems to believe *every* conspiracy theory. The Rothschilds are running the fed, 9/11 an inside job, inflation numbers are rigged, every war in the world is part of a conspiracy by the neocon cabal (well, maybe that's true laugh.gif), radiation, fracking... it's all the same.

Another thing I noticed is there's a group that seems to believe *every* conspiracy theory. The Rothschilds are running the fed, 9/11 an inside job, inflation numbers are rigged, every war in the world is part of a conspiracy by the neocon cabal (well, maybe that's true laugh.gif), radiation, fracking... it's all the same.

The National Enquirer, Nation of Islam, many gold bugs, survivalists, etc would collapse without this bedrock of belief. There's a parallel view that some organizations (Catholic Church, Israel, your favorite political party, etc) can't be wrong, and whatever thy do is somehow for the good. Not much different from the old time lefties who continually apologized for every Stalinist, etc atrocity, the deal with Hitler, etc.

I attribute that to a lack of healthy skepticism. Many people are just plain lazy.

Serious question --In Europe, when you get out of the cities, do you have rural areas filled with people who believe the Earth is 7,000 years old, Jesus is coming very soon, the government shouldn't be taxing wealthy people to pay for lazy people, etc.?

Nobody that I've met so far in Western Europe, but as you head East (at least in my experience) the conspiracy theories start getting more popular.

Nobody that I've met so far in Western Europe, but as you head East (at least in my experience) the conspiracy theories start getting more popular.

To be clear, Western Europeans also think up lots of stupid stuff, just not the same stupid stuff.

To be clear, Western Europeans also think up lots of stupid stuff

yes. house music, for example.

To be clear, Western Europeans also think up lots of stupid stuff

yes. house music, for example.

House music was created in NYC!

92% of Americans believe in god.

And 20% percent believe in the Corn God who makes the fields fertile and who must be appeased by human sacrifice every spring.

Think yourself lucky. In Norfolk it's 78%