Sign in to follow this  
Lex

America the Weird – the Lunatic 20%

This has been my response over the past 5 years whenever anybody at works brings up some new poll that 20% of Americans believe....

Serious question --In Europe, when you get out of the cities, do you have rural areas filled with people who believe the Earth is 7,000 years old, Jesus is coming very soon, the government shouldn't be taxing wealthy people to pay for lazy people, etc.?

Around here the locals think the world is much, much older than 7,000 years.

cthulhu.gif

• Like 1

With Super Bowl XLIX coming up, about 25% of Americans think God decides sporting events: new survey
One in four U.S. citizens believe God plays a role in determining which team wins sports contests.

And a majority said God also favors athletes who live successful, faithful lives.

Article

It's a real shame I don't live in Minnesota. Then I could celebrate Sweetest Day with Mongo.

Sweetest Day is a holiday celebrated in the Midwestern United States, and parts of the Northeastern United States, on the third Saturday in October. Sweetest Day has also been referred to as a "concocted promotion" created by the candy industry solely to increase sales of sweets. It is also a day to bestow romantic deeds or expressions. Eleven states and parts of two states observe Sweetest Day: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and areas of both New York and Pennsylvania west of the spine of the Appalachian Mountains

as always with the failure of reading. it's celebrated in new york too.

A failure of reading indeed -

"and areas of both New York and Pennsylvania west of the spine of the Appalachian Mountains."

I've never heard of Sweetest Day. I think it's a conspiracy to sell more "pop" and "pizookies".

as always with the failure of reading. it's celebrated in new york too.

A failure of reading indeed -

"and areas of both New York and Pennsylvania west of the spine of the Appalachian Mountains."

so, now you deny your appalachian roots?

This has been my response over the past 5 years whenever anybody at works brings up some new poll that 20% of Americans believe....

Serious question --In Europe, when you get out of the cities, do you have rural areas filled with people who believe the Earth is 7,000 years old, Jesus is coming very soon, the government shouldn't be taxing wealthy people to pay for lazy people, etc.?

Anything?

Anything?

That's an interesting question.

With the collapse of formal religion in much of Europe, I'd be surprised if people ascribe much of anything to God, whether good or bad.

(With an exception for fundamentalist Islamic and fundamentalist Jewish folks, all of Poland, and a few St Pius X Catholics.)

There is some percentage who seem to think Europe is under imminent threat of islamicization. Not 20% though.