Sign in to follow this  
mongo_jones

disposing of fireplace ashes in the garden/yard

a) is this a good idea? does mora shit in the woods?

b) is this a terrible idea? is rancho gordo planning to market heirloom bean "gas"?

• Like 9

I pile it directly on the garden. I did it once in the composter and let's just say I have no composter now. I was sure the ash was cool and yet somehow the damned thing caught fire.

I pile it directly on the garden. I did it once in the composter and let's just say I have no composter now. I was sure the ash was cool and yet somehow the damned thing caught fire.

The actual chemical process of composting generates heat and ashes being so light and combustible, they can easily re-ignite (more likely in sunny, dry weather)

The commonly held belief in Scotland when I grew up was that they were very good for rose bushes. But that was probably because the Protestants wanted to kill every colourful thing alive.

I've added fireplace ash to the garden soil for years. Mostly oak wood. Just dig it in with the chopped leaves, occasional sheep compost, etc.

Works fine.

No, I don't shit in the woods. Yes, I do put our woodstove ashes into the compost. But not directly from the stove. We keep a small galvanized steel trash can out the back door, and dump the ashes there. Then when it's full we lug it down to the compost bin. The lid on the trash can does a good enough job of suffocating any live coals.

I've also dumped ash around the base of all the lilac bushes, as they seem to like the extra potassium.

even better use for fireplace ash: sprinkle it on the sheet ice on your driveway and on the concrete at the foot of your deck and gain instant traction. sometimes i amaze myself.

if you use the ashes to gain traction on the ice, etc, don't forget to remove your shoes when you enter the house.

the wet ash residue makes a mess on the carpets

we don't wear shoes in the house. the dogs will have to remove their paws though. but still that's preferable to their suffering ligament and joint injuries.

And the ashes don't disintegrate as quickly as you'd expect.

damhiki, as they say.