Mighty Quinn's (East Village BBQ)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's this called? The old jew?   http://www.pinkpignyc.com/.a/6a00d8341c714d53ef017c34ed08c0970b-800wi

I tried to "like" this post, but the button won't let you push itself.

(It strikes me as tempting fate to name a barbecue joint after a song whose best line is, "Just ain't my cup of meat.")

You're free sides were more ample than mine.

But yes, I admit that for $9, that was a decent amount of food. You're not getting much for $9 anywhere in NYC. I'm just being a cheap bastard. BBQ, like pasta, should be served in heaps.

brisket, beans, diet coke -- $14.50ish. And tax. Gotta pay the Man!

I asked for lean brisket, and it was very good.

The guy I was with has been to bbq country (in all its ilks) more times than I care to admit - he said that the main thing to avoid at MQs is the chicken - very blah.

Considering the state of John Brown on my last visit...this easily crushed that. Waiting for Lex's report on the new Dinosaur, but they've sold out, so I don't expect much.

Mighty Quinn is fine if you can control the seasoning. It wasn't as good as BrisketHouse (based on one sample of the latter), and I don't think it's as good as Hill Country was when it first opened. Much better than that one visit to John Brown, of course, but I did like Mable's.

Still haven't been to Fletcher's.

When I was in Houston a few weeks ago, I had a plate of brisket (moist) at Rudy's for $6.29 that could have served two.

No doubt. How much was the round trip air fare?

Including the cab fare to Intercontinental from Hobby after my flight from Hobby was canceled?

When I was in Houston a few weeks ago, I had a plate of brisket (moist) at Rudy's for $6.29 that could have served two.

Including the cab fare to Intercontinental from Hobby after my flight from Hobby was canceled?

Comparing the food cost of anything in Houston to anything in NYC is pretty useless, in my opinion.

We (that live here in NY) all know that most stuff is cheaper everywhere else (except maybe the dozen dumplings I had for $3 the other day on Mulberry St.) But really, what's the point?

I know there have been pages and pages of discussion comparing home cooking to restaurant cooking on EG, CH, OA and MF but I think BBQ is the one cuisine (is bbq a cuisine?) where if you know what you are doing is better at home with few exceptions. My experience, especially in NY, is that when places first open up they are quite good but then get to be hit or miss. I think timing is very important in bbq and after places get established they get lazy with the timing. So instead of smoking a brisket overnight to be ready for the next day, they start it in the morning when the staff gets in and serve reheated brisket the following day.

Mighty Quinn is fine if you can control the seasoning. It wasn't as good as BrisketHouse (based on one sample of the latter), and I don't think it's as good as Hill Country was when it first opened. Much better than that one visit to John Brown, of course, but I did like Mable's.

Still haven't been to Fletcher's.

Food memory is tough. As is barbecue. The brisket I had last night had just been removed from the smoker, and I think that makes a difference too.

Comparing the food cost of anything in Houston to anything in NYC is pretty useless, in my opinion.

We (that live here in NY) all know that most stuff is cheaper everywhere else (except maybe the dozen dumplings I had for $3 the other day on Mulberry St.) But really, what's the point?

I agree. It was more for gloating that comparing.