• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aska is, of course, the "real" restaurant that one of the guys from Frej opened up with the FOH/cocktail guy from EMP and then Atera. Like Frej, it's in the Kinfolk Studio space in Williamsburg. Unl

Going back 25 pages or so, I'll try to restate my original view on this again. The only time I've questioned the overall value of a tasting menu meal is when I've been disappointed with some aspect o

Though I shouldn't make assumptions, I'm just guessing your date wasn't picking up the tab. There can be an inverse correlation between excitement level and skin in the game. (Do correct me if I'm ass

It's not reasonable - assuming you accept this is a valid style of cuisine - to contest the mere fact that they are using these ingredients as part of a high price menu any more than it is reasonable to complain about rice being the primary ingredient at yasuda. It reasonable to contest the quality of the ingredients, whether the menu is well designed or executed, whether the food accomplishes what it's meant to, and whether it tastes good.

"As part of"

Straw man.

Remember Sneak's post which started this, which he later amended.

Yeah I think wilf is rejecting that but it's OK. Historically his bet that this will be seen as a fad rather than a change to the Canon like sushi isn't a bad bet.

Like the foraged herbs and acidy native fruits work but maybe the liver poop doesn't.

Or new American cooking. But yeah, I don't think it's an unreasonable position.

No I mean if the stuff becomes accepted as a luxury ingredient then necessarily the price is going to go up to match.

I feel like we're on our way there with a place like Semilla.

Obviously there is a huge price leap to Aska, but I remember when Gabriel Kreuther first opened, the fact that he put pork neck on a $95 prix-fixe ruffled some feathers here.

Weirdly in Adrian's model defending Aska it's pretty hard to defend GK and yet weirdly I think on this here website there is more uniform sympathy towards gk than Aska.

I think Adrian would say that's something that's wrong with this website. I wouldn't disagree.

Could it be all the other accoutrements that GK appears to offer in terms of creature comfort?

Weirdly in Adrian's model defending Aska it's pretty hard to defend GK and yet weirdly I think on this here website there is more uniform sympathy towards gk than Aska.

I think because the previous incarnation of Aska was not entirely successful. I thought, anyway.

The food at GK was just better than the previous Aska, completely regardless of style, setting, etc.

Your defense of Aska serving heart is that its a new model for fine dining, while GK serving Neck is decidely a revisit of an existing model with "lesser" ingredients.

That's probably right. To play Wilfrid, though, the best heart costs much less than the best foie (see adny). I'm hesitant to say that the argument for new Nordic or new American cuisine is an argument against trad French at a lower price point. Maybe the most interesting example in this entire discussion being arpege.

I think because the previous incarnation of Aska was not entirely successful. I thought, anyway.

The food at GK was just better than the previous Aska, completely regardless of style, setting, etc.

This is important too. The defense of the project and style is different from the defense of the restaurant.

I don't care what a restaurant's food costs are or what their labor costs are or what their rent is. Those all are issues the restaurant has to deal with . If after dealing with those issues, the food on the plate, the setting, the service, etc are good relative to the overall cost, I'm happy.

Also, if a place has very low food costs, labor costs, rent cost, etc, I also don't care as long as the above still holds. I don't care how much money the owner makes in profit as long as I am happy with the overall value. Value to me is the benefit provided based on what I pay, and has nothing to do with the restaurant's costs.