• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aska is, of course, the "real" restaurant that one of the guys from Frej opened up with the FOH/cocktail guy from EMP and then Atera. Like Frej, it's in the Kinfolk Studio space in Williamsburg. Unl

Going back 25 pages or so, I'll try to restate my original view on this again. The only time I've questioned the overall value of a tasting menu meal is when I've been disappointed with some aspect o

Though I shouldn't make assumptions, I'm just guessing your date wasn't picking up the tab. There can be an inverse correlation between excitement level and skin in the game. (Do correct me if I'm ass

We showed up at 20:25 for our 20:30 reservation, a reservation that the restaurant called to confirm a day ahead.

A few minutes for your table.

Sure, we're early, we'll sit in the front and have some drinks, why not...

About an hour later, following a couple of good but very, very, strong cocktails and mini latkes (eventually gracefully comped for the wait), we were finally shown to our table and started receiving food some 78 minutes after the original time, finishing the first course at 22:00. We had enough to discuss and weren't particularly bothered, but I noticed tables nearby did not seem very accepting of the situation despite their tender median age - "what's the holdup?" asked one of them, while another was wolfing down the plates within seconds of their eventual arrival.

Overall I didn't like the food at all. There were very nice components here and there and execution was not an issue, but there was a lot of completely uncalled for bitterness and sweetness and severely under-cooked root vegetables in almost every course (I think even the little of them I ate is why I'm posting about the meal right now) that ruined it for me. I have no idea where Frej is hiding, and I don't find a baked (I imagine it wasn't really baked, but as-if) lady apple, coupled with super sweet puree and nearly candied sweetbreads austere in any way (although I guess the compost-heap-worthy intentionally burnt/undercooked salsify counts as an austerity measure). If we compare to Atera for some reason, then at the very least nothing was designed to stick to your teeth or slice through soft tissue.

I didn't find the wine list easy or compelling, but it might be due to my ignorance of most bottles on it. I thought a 2005 Morgon was very good, although no bargain at $85, but then some minutes later was replaced with a really excellent, more lively sample as the wine folks said they thought the first one wasn't as good as others of the same vintage they've tasted. It wasn't corked or otherwise obviously off, just not as good as it can be. Classy of them.

Service was okay, which you'd hope it would be given there were a dozen or so people running the foh, but still just three or so in the kitchen, but it's mostly waitrons now, who you can't really communicate anything about the food to, and who will merrily bring you your espresso as they're still pouring you wine, some minutes before dessert (after midnight already, so you don't force the issue).

• 1 month later...
I have no idea where Frej is hiding, and I don't find a baked (I imagine it wasn't really baked, but as-if) lady apple, coupled with super sweet puree and nearly candied sweetbreads austere in any way (although I guess the compost-heap-worthy intentionally burnt/undercooked salsify counts as an austerity measure). If we compare to Atera for some reason, then at the very least nothing was designed to stick to your teeth or slice through soft tissue.

I am pretty sure Frej is hiding at Pearl and Ash, which is going to reopen soon.

I have no idea where Frej is hiding, and I don't find a baked (I imagine it wasn't really baked, but as-if) lady apple, coupled with super sweet puree and nearly candied sweetbreads austere in any way (although I guess the compost-heap-worthy intentionally burnt/undercooked salsify counts as an austerity measure). If we compare to Atera for some reason, then at the very least nothing was designed to stick to your teeth or slice through soft tissue.

I am pretty sure Frej is hiding at Pearl and Ash, which is going to reopen soon.

Re-open?

Re-open?

They're closed right now and doing a legit opening I think next month?

• 2 weeks later...