• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aska is, of course, the "real" restaurant that one of the guys from Frej opened up with the FOH/cocktail guy from EMP and then Atera. Like Frej, it's in the Kinfolk Studio space in Williamsburg. Unl

Going back 25 pages or so, I'll try to restate my original view on this again. The only time I've questioned the overall value of a tasting menu meal is when I've been disappointed with some aspect o

Though I shouldn't make assumptions, I'm just guessing your date wasn't picking up the tab. There can be an inverse correlation between excitement level and skin in the game. (Do correct me if I'm ass

• 2 years later...

Hey wait a minute!

The dining room has no bar, like a growing number of restaurants.

Bars are a major profit center for restaurants. Why would he not want to take advantage of that?

And here I am doing everything I can to beg my way into Maaemo in Oslo.

Make fun all you want.

Have you enjoyed the video at the website? Thank goodness the bad old days of the formality, solemnity, pretension and exclusivity of haute cuisine are behind us.

The duck looks nice, though.

Hey wait a minute!

Bars are a major profit center for restaurants. Why would he not want to take advantage of that?

If it was about money, he'd cook the brussel sprouts. With some bacon.

Hey wait a minute!

You mean having a bar would betray his vision?

And here I am doing everything I can to beg my way into Maaemo in Oslo.

Make fun all you want.

Have you enjoyed the video at the website? Thank goodness the bad old days of the formality, solemnity, pretension and exclusivity of haute cuisine are behind us.

The duck looks nice, though.

All I see is fog endlessly rolling in from the fjord.

I'll admit I haven't read the chef's long essay at the end, "How Horns Filled with Cow Shit Affect the Way I Cook". I'll read that if and when I'm able to get a reservation. Otherwise, I don't want to frustrate myself.

Yes, you don't want to drive yourself crazy with hunger pangs.

I especially liked the ironing of the table cloths--a manoeuvre which in New York would be tantamount to making the restaurant over-65 only, bedecking the staff with tastevins, and calling everyone "Cher monsieur."

Hey wait a minute!

You mean having a bar would betray his vision?

I think he would be letting us down, letting himself down, and letting Scandinavia down.

Yes, you don't want to drive yourself crazy with hunger pangs.

I especially liked the ironing of the table cloths--a manoeuvre which in New York would be tantamount to making the restaurant over-65 only, bedecking the staff with tastevins, and calling everyone "Cher monsieur."

It's about style. Formality and solemnity are fine. It's about the kind of formality.