Anyway I'm sure they'll tweak it but I don't think it can go back to the old value or elaborate preparations. 

I'm largely on the same page as Seth I'm afraid.  Some good dishes and generally well executed albeit it mostly felt like sourcing and technique in the (overwrought?) pursuit of a message/ideology, rather than being used to make a delicious meal.  It reminded me somewhat of my meal at Geranium (which I also didn't enjoy all that much).  

I didn't think there were any home runs but enjoyed the potato pancake, the caviar, the langoustine, the hake and the birchwood.  I also liked the scallop.  I'm surprised you had such a strong reaction to it Seth (unless it's changed).  Sliced scallop in a well made onion broth seems fairly inoffensive!

The quail was easily the weirdest dish of the night.  It felt like a dish which had escaped from a tired 1* restaurant on the Upper East Side.  The "winter" truffle belonged in the camp of a number of other ingredients which didn't really make their presence felt in their respective dishes (which is probably about right for offseason truffle).

The oyster was my least favourite dish of the night, partly because we had just had another shellfish emulsion, partly because it really didn't taste of oyster.

I liked the room but the service was not my style.  The hushed reverence with which each dish was introduced meant I had to repeatedly ask the staff to repeat themselves. 

The cocktails were great but the wines by the glass were somewhat of a clunker.  I'm not a massive natural wines guy and these were, pretty natural.  Something a little odd - the sommelier poured an $85 glass of wine (I wish I could remember the name...) which I didn't discover until I got the check.  That seemed odd to me given the other wines were all $25/$30 a glass?

It was my first visit, so can't compare it to past menus, but on this evidence I struggle to see how one could come to the conclusion that this is a "better" restaurant than Brooklyn Fare.  

I liked the room but the service was not my style.  The hushed reverence with which each dish was introduced meant I had to repeatedly ask the staff to repeat themselves. 

This is actually pretty funny and reminds me of our meal last visit to London, at Clove Club - though the atmosphere is decidedly less reverent over all.

I think your reaction is one of the reasons why (especially) my wife and I don't enjoy these types of dinners. Even one or two home runs doesn't make it for us; we need a murderer's row. 

I also liked the scallop.  I'm surprised you had such a strong reaction to it Seth (unless it's changed).  Sliced scallop in a well made onion broth seems fairly inoffensive!

I think I mostly found that dish banal. Kind of one-note, though unbalanced - perhaps the broth was over-reduced, but I found it masked the scallop. Like being served hotate sashimi in a bowl of soy sauce rather than simply brushed with it.

That might have actually been better, serving it in a sashimi style - raw scallop (maybe with with some flowers and whatnot) and the broth on the side for dipping.

Oddly, we didn't get a lot of "hushed reverence" which I was expecting. May have been a different vibe in the room, or at least our corner of the room, that night. The table next to ours was a trio of mid-30s bros in their best Untuck-It™ casual wear, passing their phones around, showing each other pictures of girls they claimed they'd hooked up with.

Dang, which wine was $85? I don't recall anything on the BTG menu being that high, unless maybe it was a dessert wine. Sometimes those Sauternes or Vintage Ports can be way up there. 

I think your reaction is one of the reasons why (especially) my wife and I don't enjoy these types of dinners. Even one or two home runs doesn't make it for us; we need a murderer's row. 

There's no way to know until you try. But when you do get that murderer's row, or close to it, it can be extraordinary. Atomix, Ko... (though it's been awhile since we've been to Ko) or at a lower but still splurgy price point, a Kyo Ya or something. (Well, Kyo Ya for now... Chef Sono is leaving at the end of the month, so we'll see...)

Possibly. 

I didn't post about it but we had a very good meal again recently after a less successful one following their menu change.

I didn't post about it but we had a very good meal again recently after a less successful one following their menu change.

That's a relief as I'm going next month.

Really delicious meal there tonight. Nothing veered to far to the conceptual over tasting good. Minimal emulsions etc. etc. Went with a friend, eager to go back with Mrs. AB.