Sign in to follow this  
Lippy

Jams, jellies, preserves and marmalades

Am thinking about making a Meyer lemon/tarragon marmalade tomorrow. I have both ingredients and want to use up the fresh tarragon (I used it in an Ottolenghi recipe from Plenty)

Oh, that does look good! I wonder if Cara Caras would work for the oranges; they're my current favorite orange.

I sliced the Meyers into quarters and put all the seeds in cheesecloth. Cut the quarters into slices and threw them into a pan. Added tarragon sprigs. I put in about a 1/4 cup of water and let it boil for about 3 minutes. Took it off the heat and it's now outsdie on the porch for an overnight in the pan.

Tomorrow I'll simmer it longer til the peel is soft. Squeeze out the pectin in the seeds. Throw away the tarragon. Add an equal amount of sugar to the volume of peel/juice/ Simmer til it reaches 220 or keeps its shape on a freezer-cold plate. I'll put it into clean jars (dishwasher), seal and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. That's about it.

I also prepped limequats today. I might get some fresh ginger tomorrow to add to it.

The limes in my kumquat lime are still tough. I guess lime peel needs more soaking/boiling.

I was gifted a decent amount of plums and apricots. Anyone have a super easy/quick (I recently moved and aren't totally setup yet) preserves recipe or two?

I blew this one by failing to put up some of the prime Bings we were bringing home from Lodi this season. So I bought a couple of pounds from WA this morning. Their texture was good but their taste was meek, not round. The result, altho brightened by Meyer lemon juice, is pretty lackluster. I'm hoping that when they are totally cooled and finish gelling they might improve, but I have learned my lesson.

Fruit that lacks its essential flavor will make mediocre jam.

2018 WA state black cherry jam

42104263175_92c6d3acd9_c.jpg

But it might make an OK dessert topping, or maybe cake filling.

N learned how to make refrigerator jam at the San Mateo County Fair, and wants to use the technique to make the raspberry jam that's going in the middle of her birthday cake.

I need a good idea for cherries. Oh, and I can freeze the cherries for later, right? (Friend with a tree just dropped off a 5kg bag...)