Sign in to follow this  
Lippy

Jams, jellies, preserves and marmalades

True, but we had joy, we had fun, we had Blenheims in the sun

I wrote about the rhubarb chutney in the Corona cooking thread. Last week I spotted sour cherries. Since the season is so short I grabbed them and made jam even though I was leaving for vacation the day after. The combi oven is great for sterilising/sealing. This will be the year of preserving things in jars. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, voyager said:

Stopped in Brentwood for a final Blenheim score.    Really the end of the season.   We were too greedy to examine the fruit first, so wound up with 4 baskets of VERY RIPE fruit.    We slurped quite a few on the way home, and turned the remainder into a few more jars of jam and a pie, saving a handful of eating fresh.    'Til next year...

IMG_0022.thumb.jpg.280da9e7d8f8b7ab16c034b176064abe.jpg

I don't know if many understand how great Blenheims are, unless they've lived in California and had a tree-ripened one.

Nor do many understand just how much fruit was grown in "Silicon Valley."

• Like 1

Bought some cherry sized plums in Merano, but didn’t get around to eating them. Stoned them back home with a cherry pitter to keep them whole, and now they are jam!

• Like 1

Strawberry/thyme/balsamic apple. Also I have a kilo of apricots I need to process. After the mirabelles are in season I (at least plan to) stop. We will never eat this much jam in a year but it makes a nice gift. 

All Germans seem to be able to make jam without a recipe, they learn it in kindergarten. So basically my assimilation is now complete. 

• Like 1