• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carrot-cardamom marmalade maybe not as weird as it sounds

Cherry soda for a lime rickey...

I wrote about the rhubarb chutney in the Corona cooking thread. Last week I spotted sour cherries. Since the season is so short I grabbed them and made jam even though I was leaving for vacation the d

Posted Images

I wrote about the rhubarb chutney in the Corona cooking thread. Last week I spotted sour cherries. Since the season is so short I grabbed them and made jam even though I was leaving for vacation the day after. The combi oven is great for sterilising/sealing. This will be the year of preserving things in jars. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, voyager said:

Stopped in Brentwood for a final Blenheim score.    Really the end of the season.   We were too greedy to examine the fruit first, so wound up with 4 baskets of VERY RIPE fruit.    We slurped quite a few on the way home, and turned the remainder into a few more jars of jam and a pie, saving a handful of eating fresh.    'Til next year...

IMG_0022.thumb.jpg.280da9e7d8f8b7ab16c034b176064abe.jpg

I don't know if many understand how great Blenheims are, unless they've lived in California and had a tree-ripened one.

Nor do many understand just how much fruit was grown in "Silicon Valley."

• Like 1

Strawberry/thyme/balsamic apple. Also I have a kilo of apricots I need to process. After the mirabelles are in season I (at least plan to) stop. We will never eat this much jam in a year but it makes a nice gift. 

All Germans seem to be able to make jam without a recipe, they learn it in kindergarten. So basically my assimilation is now complete. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I know it's over 90F, but I had a lot of fruit that needed to be turned into jam. So, I set the a/c for 65 and went to work. 

Sour cherry/currant/lemon balm and a very small batch of strawberry chipotle. (2 half pints and one quarter pint). And the kitchen remained reasonably cool! I wasn't a shvitzing mess.

• Like 1

I bought a surfeit of kirbies last week. The boy is either obsessed and we can keep them in the house or he announces that he hates them. His opinion changes daily (Oh, the everyshifting moods of a 6 year old). As I result, last night I needed to make to some quick bread and butter pickles in order to make room in the crisper drawer.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Russ & Daughters seemed to be out of ring gels, so I had to put in an emergency order to Amazon for the classic Joyva for Passover.

The minimum order was 5 lbs. (plus packaging).  But I know how much I love ring gels, and in what quantities I consume them, so it seemed reasonable.

They arrived.  I went downstairs to pick them up.  My doorman said, "be careful, this package is kind of heavy."

I didn't have it in me to tell him it was candy.

• Haha 1
  • 4 months later...

N probably won't admit it, but I think she took way more apples on Sunday than she intended, and because she can't waste anything not actively rotten the kitchen has been a hive of activity since then.  Apple jelly, apple conserves, applesauce, apple cider, apple-blackberry jam, Russian apple marshmallows, etc., etc.  And we just got several pounds of peaches, so more jam-making is to come very soon.  (I'm skimming off a pound to make a cobbler this weekend, though.)