It's hard to pay attention to the current Met run of Le Comte Ory when your uncontrollable inner mind keeps emitting:

WE'RE SO PRETTY
OH SO PRETTY
YENDE

(I should say that this star-is-born doesn't go on my Bonk List. She goes on my Marry List.)

• Like 20
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's hard to pay attention to the current Met run of Le Comte Ory when your uncontrollable inner mind keeps emitting:   WE'RE SO PRETTY OH SO PRETTY YENDE   (I should say that this star-is-born do

Dynamite-plus, even.

This reminds me of my rant about SF Ballet's Cinderella without fairy godmother or mice.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any better living singer right now than Rene Pape?

I think maybe not.

Certainly, he was astonishingly good today. (A day that had him heard, not only alongside Diana Damrau, Kate Lindsey, and Piotr Beczala, but before Ian Bostridge and Angelica Kirschlager.)

(It helps that he's reportedly a total lush.)

• 1 month later...

I hate to observe physical decay in people around my age (OK, a few years younger -- but older than my little brother). But Renee Fleming's instrument is not what it was.

She still did a pretty good job with Blanche, though. Actually, her current portrayal may be more poignant, if less well realized, than on the recording from her prime 15 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Emmylou Harris/Rodney Crowell at the Beacon last week...holy sh*t,Thompson,and his band can play.Solo acoustic on 1952 St. Vincent Black Lightning just crushes everything. Ane after all these years,it was great to hear Harris and her very tight band live,singing many songs that I love...music good enough to silence my thoughts of zapping all of the jerks who talk and have to play with their devices through the evening.

Don't get a ticket to a show where the WHOLE POINT is to see a Roman Catholic singer-actress to a performance on Good Friday.

Fuck.

I do have to say that Ms. Errico's unfortunate absence caused one to focus more closely on Judy Kuhn's Fosca -- a new high even in her distinguished career. Brava, Ms. Kuhn.

• 2 years later...