Sign in to follow this  
foodie52

St. John? Halifax? Any ideas for a better than decent meal?

Does anyone have any input about these two places. Yes, we are going to go on a four day cruise with daughter Alice and her husband. I don't like cruises, but I certainly would love to have a couple of good meals on shore. Thanks.

• Like 6

We had reservations for dinner at the Five Fishermen in downtown Halifax on our last trip. However, the area was without power and the restaurant had to zip us out. They were very nice about it, though.

The location is about six blocks from the cruise ship dock in Halifax. Maybe a ten minute walk or a two minute cab ride.

http://www.fivefishermen.com/contact/index.htm

The Via Rail Canada station is about a block uphill from the cruise ship dock. The transcontinental train to British Columbia left from that station and hotel for nearly a century. The lobby is delightful in a spruced up 1900s way.

I don't recall that we had dinner in New Brunswick. As I recall, we walked up the hill to the Moosehead Brewery and back past the reversing falls. Maybe a ten or 15 minute walk.

In Halifax it all depends on what you are looking for., Check out the following places, all nearby the cruise ship port:

Gio - in the Prince George Hotel, more elevated atmosphere with decent food

Fid - owners are French, small menu, they downscaled their offerings a couple of years ago to meet local needs

Piatto - neapolitan style pizza, it's the real thing

Morris East - small neighborhood pizza place, wood oven - crust rather thin, nice salads and appetizer offerings, nice atmosphere

Bicycle Thief - great decor, pricey upscale Italian, owners also own A Mano and Il Mercato, I produce better italian food at home but you can't beat the view of the water, esp in summer

Chives - chef has published a cookbook, my favorite part is the homemade buttermilk biscuits

ChaBaa - if you are in the mood for Thai, this place is great

This is my short (and long) list if ever I want to go out for a bite.

Wish I could give you some stellar reviews but this is as good as it gets.... pm me if you want more details

ps My only experience with Five Fisherman was frozen fish with packaged sauces

Thanks for the info (even if I'm not going to be there any time soon). Chives is what you hear about in Toronto. A doner recommendation is probably obligatory.

Thank you so much! I actually didn't expect any answers. Bless mouthfuls!! Will make a note of these. We love seafood. A LOT. Atmosphere comes second to the food. If I can eat with my fingers, all the better.. . .

Mussels. Haven't had any since Normandy last summer.

If you can find it, there was an article in the NYT maybe 20 or 25 years ago about a night in St. John's spent barcrawling and eating cod cheeks (or "kissing the cod", as the natives called it). It sounded wildly entertaining.

Raymond's is very, very good, on tonight's evidence. It has the most sophisticated and knowledgeable wine service in St. John's. The list is full of $600 bottles of Grand Cru Burgs from 3rd tier producers. Curiously, there was what seemed almost like a prom night component to the crowd--rich locals in their early 20s on a big night out.

But the place is terribly expensive compared to other cities farther down the coast (like NYC). Beautiful setting, great view of St. John's spectacular harbor entrance, very good food.

If anyone was thinking of going to Bianca, think again. Apparently they used to have some good wine and good food, but that just ain't the case anymore. They still advertise a Best of Award of Blah Blah from the Wine Spectator, but that must have been from a past life, because there is really, really nothing to drink unless you fancy $140 Guigal regular St. Joseph. Just terrible wines.

My seared foie gras arrived almost frozen in the middle, which presaged a theme for the night--almost everything had been totally prepared in advance and held, then incompetently prepared for final service. Even things ordinarily made a la minute in any decent place. Butter-poached lobster was overcooked, when the usual problem is the reverse.

They didn't overcook the pasta by so much. It's about the kindest thing I can say about them.

Flee.