Sign in to follow this  
splinky

storing fresh ginger

i've got an 8 oz chunk of ginger and i need to figure out the best way to store it. some will be used today to make ginger simple syrup for soda and limeade and cocktails, the rest needs to be in some safe long term storage. do i bury it in clean soil in a pot, in a ziploc bag in the freezer, in a brown paper bag in the fridge?

• Like 12

How long do you need to keep it? Wrapped in aluminum foil and placed in the vegetable bin, it will last a few weeks, with just a bit of trimming of the cut end.

How long do you need to keep it? Wrapped in aluminum foil and placed in the vegetable bin, it will last a few weeks, with just a bit of trimming of the cut end.

it would probably take me 2 years to use that much ginger.

If it'll take you that long to use it, you don't really want to bury it unless you want even more to use up. I vote freezer, but I'd break it up into smaller chunks first just for convenience sake.

And I'd make some of Emily Luchetti's triple ginger cookies with some of it, too.

Lippy's method works fine. Just be aware that the piece might develop a little mold--but that can be cut off.

When I've frozen chunks of ginger, I found that they were only good for juicing when thawed--like other fruit/veg, their cell walls break and they go all limp. So I wouldn't freeze the whole piece unless that would be okay.

For freezing, I'd grate or julienne it and spread it out, then freeze. Pack the frozen stuff to be able to break off tablespoon- (or whatever-) size pieces as needed.

I've had luck peeling ginger and keeping it in a jar of sherry in the fridge.

I've done the sherry thing, too, but I prefer the wrap because it doesn't add an additional flavor that I may not ultimately want.

Ginger is so cheap. I am always buying big pieces, and throwing most of it away. Maybe I'll try freezing in future.

i have enough to try several methods. i will put some in the vegetable bin (lippy, is that the dry bin with the potatoes or onions or the crisper bin in the fridge). i will chunk some and freeze it unpeeled in ziploc bags and i'm thinking i might put some grated in ice cube molds and cover with olive oil and freeze for stirfry. i wish i liked ginger more, this is some particularly nice ginger. maybe my mom and the cleaning fairy will take some.

I like to throw it in a ziplock bag, put it in the fridge for a few weeks, then throw it in the garbage when I notice it has gone all green and fuzzy.

I like to throw it in a ziplock bag, put it in the fridge for a few weeks, then throw it in the garbage when I notice it has gone all green and fuzzy.

That's my method, too.

i have enough to try several methods. i will put some in the vegetable bin (lippy, is that the dry bin with the potatoes or onions or the crisper bin in the fridge). i will chunk some and freeze it unpeeled in ziploc bags and i'm thinking i might put some grated in ice cube molds and cover with olive oil and freeze for stirfry. i wish i liked ginger more, this is some particularly nice ginger. maybe my mom and the cleaning fairy will take some.

The crisper.

seth, i'm really cheap and hate to throw away food

make masala tea.

and for a change, wilfrid is right: ginger is so cheap and easily available. why do you a) buy more than you need, and b) worry about storing it when you can just throw it away and get more when you need it?

During the winter months, I grate a huge [2-3 inches] piece of ginger, throw it into a large saucepan, add water nearly to the top, and slowly boil for 20 minutes. After straining out the ginger, I keep a container of the "tea" for mugs of a warming, spicy drink to which I add a bit of honey. But that wouldn't work for you, splinky, not being a big fan of ginger.