joethefoodie

Still Hurting Post Sandy

Yep, then the city decided everything that was grandfathered in wasn't really grandfathered in any more.

The fire department especially had/has some issues; probably not surprisingly.

I missed this. Surprised preservation groups aren’t going nuts about it. Maybe wrong place: if it was in GV or EV the lobbyists would be getting loud.

I missed this. Surprised preservation groups aren’t going nuts about it. Maybe wrong place: if it was in GV or EV the lobbyists would be getting loud.

good point - its location is just fucking weird.  Especially after they built that damn Brooklyn Bridge.

A pop-up future for Bridge Cafe, which I very much enjoyed in the nineties, would normally depress me.

But if the owners' hands are tied, and the Threesome Tollbooth micro-micro-bar can exploit even greater inaccessibility into high-quality apparent profit, maybe there's hope in a boutique-y future under the bridge, too. That wonderful corner space has to be more of a potential draw than a former janitorial closet in Bushwick.

bridge-cafe.0.jpg

So I got a little news from my friend Adam today.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/one-last-shot-for-a-historic-manhattan-bar-11582381962

While Mr. Weprin looked into the potential of running another restaurant in recent years, he keeps coming back to his family’s vacant business. “This place is filled with memories,” he said. 

He plans to meet with a contractor and an expediter to assist him through the city permitting process, one more time, to see if he can open the space, he said. He knows he would have to replace the floors again; they have buckled since he replaced them after Sandy. And there are likely bigger changes to be made to bring the restaurant up to the city’s fire code. 

“I want to try again, with less emotion and a clear head,” he said. “If it doesn’t make sense, I will finally let it go.” 

It's been more than 7 years - keeping my fingers crossed.