Yeah, they're only saying "tastes different with Vodka", yes, of course, but is it because booze is nice or because it actually makes something in the tomatoes available that isn't available otherwise?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rather than report on Carbone after it opens, the Times decided to worship it in advance.

No one has to make Sichuan food "safe" for insecure people.

I'm sorry, I thought it was already established on these august pages that red sauce Italian is inherently poor food? I enjoy red sauce Italian. I would never hesitate to go with a crowd to Carmines

He did say that he thought it was better — not just different, but better — with the right amount of vodka. We have only his word for that.

Yeah, but that might be just the vodka talking. :lol:

Some scientists say it can't do that.

That makes sense (I was wondering because in my experience even if there is something alcohol soluble, you get good extraction above 160 proof, but poor results at 100 proof, and certainly no result at Evil Twin Bikini Beer proof)

Italian speaking waiters, the prices, the menu...it sounds like everything a neighborhood res sauce joint "isn't"

There's probably a "banter" consultant and some off-broadway actress portraying the owner's grandmother.

Affineur : Would you like the House aged Parmigiano Reggiano grating to be piccolo, mezzo, o grosso?

What's funny is that, when everybody was talking last week about how Carbone didn't have a menu posted yet, I came upon that other website and it wasn't immediately apparent to me that it was a different place.

I noticed it too, then forgot about it. Nice little lawsuit?

Ooh ooh, I remember... I found it on Open Table while stupidly looking to see if this Carbone was available.

They should see a nice little uptick in business confused customers wandering in and asking if they're in the right place.

I went last night. Walked in at 5:30 and was seated immediately. The waiter was American, though obviously of Italian ancestry.

Whether you like this place depends on two questions. The first is, do you think the old-school American-Italian cuisine is legit. when it's done well? Quite a few people responding on this thread seem to think: no. In that case, a more expensive version of a cuisine you never thought was any good to begin with, is obviously going to be a failure, right out of the gate, no matter what they do with it.

The second is: Do you think Carbone is a sincere attempt to do the thing well, or is it an exercise in cynicism?

My answer is: 1) It's legit. when done well; and 2) The attempt here is sincere, and largely successful. But if you don't think the referent is legit., then don't go. You'll spend a lot of money, and you'll be miserable the whole time.