I was at that lovely dinner at Carbone, and if I could have another plate of their pasta with meatballs, I'd be a very happy woman. Which is why, I think, Carbone is successful - this is exactly the type of food that should leave you feeling happy, and they hit their mark. I thought the only miss was the langoustines, but I always feel that way about langoustines (I'd like to be able to pry out a bite, not a bit). I prefer old-fashioned shrimp scampi. Everything else was spot on (the vegetables were perfect). Would love to try to make Rich’s and Suzanne's recipes for meatballs – eating those from Carbone has put me in the mood.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rather than report on Carbone after it opens, the Times decided to worship it in advance.

No one has to make Sichuan food "safe" for insecure people.

I'm sorry, I thought it was already established on these august pages that red sauce Italian is inherently poor food? I enjoy red sauce Italian. I would never hesitate to go with a crowd to Carmines

Aw, thanks. I think the key to the meatballs' success was poaching instead of frying or baking; kept them tender without a hard crust or overcooking. Wish I could give you more specific measures, but I only measure when baking. Otherwise it's all based on what I have and what the stuff feels like.

And good to read your opinion of the place.

Orik has said in the past that it's a better value to fly to Montreal and eat at Joe Beef than to go to Per Se. I hazard to guess what you spent on the meal, but a trip to Cabane au Sucre PDC with flight and hotel and transport will set you back about $750 if you play it right (the restaurant ending up at about $100 a head with drinks). It will feed you for a week and almost every dish will be covered in foie gras and/or lobster.

I'm not sure how that compares to a night out at Carbone, but I thought I'd bring that up.

you know, I need a vacation....

$183 a head all in is not bad if you were drinking freely, which it seems you were.

As noted repeatedly, I no longer seem to be able to get out of an ordinary neighborhood place for much less than $90/$100 (drinking freely, of course).

as much as I miss NYC and intend to move back...this (what's happened to the price point at neighborhood places) is just hard to swallow.

$183 a head all in is not bad if you were drinking freely, which it seems you were.

As noted repeatedly, I no longer seem to be able to get out of an ordinary neighborhood place for much less than $90/$100 (drinking freely, of course).

as much as I miss NYC and intend to move back...this (what's happened to the price point at neighborhood places) is just hard to swallow.

You're not considering Carbone as a neighborhood place, right?

My range for neighborhood places in $60 - $75 a head. You can definitely go higher than that but then you're getting to the upper end of the range. Hearth comes to mind.

If you go Chinese you can get things down to $50 a head.

see Chinese used to be $25-30 a head.

It still is in Brooklyn and Queens. :)

I had a nice meal for 2 at Ayada a couple of weeks ago for $77. Ethnic gives you the most bang for your buck but you have to pick the right places. There are plenty of bad restaurants that are a bad deal at any price.

It's even worse than that - neighborhood places no longer serve main courses, they just bring out a series of small plates whenever they're ready.

My range for neighborhood places in $60 - $75 a head. You can definitely go higher than that but then you're getting to the upper end of the range. Hearth comes to mind.

I think of Hearth as a big step up. Remember the difference between $75 and $90 these days is another cocktail.

Also, I'm probably thinking more of Manhattan than Brooklyn.

Last night, three small plates, two glasses of wine (by no means a full meal) in Williamsburg, $55 plus tip. That's in the Lex range, right?

see Chinese used to be $25-30 a head. Dell'Anima and Lupa were my idea of a neighborhood place

Dined at dell'anima earlier this week for about $55 per person, including tax and tip [no secondi and only a glass of wine, but did get dessert].

If I were confident The Elm's quality and prices could be maintained, well, I'd be much more eager to make Williamsburg my neighbourhood. Though somehow we managed to spend less per person at the Gotham Bar and Grill yesterday evening than my last dinner in Liebrandt's poolside basement.

Wait, this thread is about $100 veal parmesan, right...?

I think of Hearth as a big step up. Remember the difference between $75 and $90 these days is another cocktail.

Also, I'm probably thinking more of Manhattan than Brooklyn.

Last night, three small plates, two glasses of wine (by no means a full meal) in Williamsburg, $55 plus tip. That's in the Lex range, right?

I dont know if Lex will concur but, reading your post that this was "by no means a full meal", why would $55 + tip for what you ate/drank fit into his "$60-75 a head" for dinner neighborhood place range? If this place was La Vara (or similar in quality), I'd see it as very reasonable but it sounds like you're putting forth this place as more of a generic. Doesn't work for me.