Morristown - a new restaurant from Chris Cannon

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morristown Record reports on a new restaurant proposal in the Vail Mansion. This huge Golden era marble building has been the town hall, police HQ, and "front door" for a luxury apartment project. N

NJ Monthly reports that Executive Chef Kevin Sippel has left Jockey Hollow, and moved back to Buffalo to care for his ailing parents. Sippel's long time chef de cuisine, Michael O'Shea will take over.

If true, that's one helluva lotta tasting.

Thanks for the heads up.

I was there not too long ago...JH is doing very well...while having a strong, loyal following, and people who enjoy and appreciate very good food, they seem to be also attracting a lot of newcomers and first-timers. What they are doing -- they are doing very well. Whenever I am in the area, I stop in, at least for a drink -- whether I am there for a show/concert, friends, whatever. JH is still "crowded" and that's a very good sign. Not too crowded, but a very nice buzz and crowd every time I am there. I know people who regularly go there from various parts of Northern NJ and I have friends in Central NJ who view it as a destination spot for the evening.

I still like the various "rooms" or spaces -- so whatever I am looking for or feeling like -- I can get it at JH. From fine dining, to a casual, laid back lounge, to a seafood bar, or even a lounge space with live music -- they got it all.
Regarding the parking -- I haven't had a problem once. I have used valet, and have also parked right across the street in the evening/municipal parking. Remember, this isn't in the heart of down-town Morristown vis a vis Times Square. They are next door to the PAC/theatre, there are pay lots nearby, valet, and street parking as well -- a la Montclair, Ridgewood, and so on. I have yet to have parking be a hinderance for me.
  • 6 months later...

Craig Polignano has taken over as Executive Chef of Jockey Hollow. He was previously the Executive Chef at the Ryland Inn, and left to run the the kitchen at Mistral's sibling restaurant in King of Prussia, PA. He also spent some time at Michael Mina in California, as well as the Bernards Inn, among other acclaimed restaurants.

https://njmonthly.com/articles/eat-drink/extra-jockey-hollows-coup-craig-polignano-takes-charge-of-kitchen/

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.northjersey.com/story/entertainment/dining/2020/11/18/jockey-hollow-bar-kitchen-morristown-nj-temporarily-closes/6318543002/

From the above article on NorthJersey.com . . .

"He (Jockey Hollow owner, Christopher Cannon) plans to continue holding virtual wine tasting events, which he said are popular, and to sell wines. A passionate oenophile, Cannon has amassed a 175,000-bottle wine cellar. He also plans to do some catering.

He hopes to reopen in May 2021."

13 hours ago, E.L.A. said:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/entertainment/dining/2020/11/18/jockey-hollow-bar-kitchen-morristown-nj-temporarily-closes/6318543002/

From the above article on NorthJersey.com . . .

"He (Jockey Hollow owner, Christopher Cannon) plans to continue holding virtual wine tasting events, which he said are popular, and to sell wines. A passionate oenophile, Cannon has amassed a 175,000-bottle wine cellar. He also plans to do some catering.

He hopes to reopen in May 2021."

If true, that's one helluva lotta tasting.

• Haha 1
  • 10 months later...

My understanding is that they're currently open for indoor and outdoor dining (although not all their rooms were reopened following The Lockdown), after having been briefly closed again recently because of a COVID infection on the staff.

• Like 1

It's open. I've been a few times this fall. It's good. I thought it was better last year.  It's not really quite as good as it should be but miles ahead of other options 

I think it, Common Lot, and Fascino are the best of the places I've been ( tho I've obviously not been out  a tonne (eta : I dont like sitting in the Vail Bar. Oyster Bar if you aren't outside. Vail Bar reminds of Nathan's long ago point about NYC being the only city in the country you could reliably eat wo a TV)

• Like 1

Gonon on the list for less than in a store (though probably still 3x+ what they actually paid for it)

Dinner last night was fine. Fascino is def better. The frying on my schnitzel was a problem.  Its so convenient for us I'll keep going, but last night seems like a weaker meal than I have had in the past.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Meredith380 said:

The Oyster Bar is open, anyone dining indoors needs proof of being vaccinated. 

Another good option in town is 1776 by David Burke. 

Is this the place where Burke partnered with the Top Golf people and they have the golf simulators there? Thanks.

Yes. It not just golf— it’s also football and baseball. I look forward to going there. You can get most of the menu there AFAIK. The restaurant and Top Golf are separated by a second bar. 

The kitchen knows what they’re going and do it well and timely. The bar service is slow, 10 minutes for a glass of wine, 25 for a dessert coffee drink. Granted this was their first Saturday of service when I went  

• Like 1