Morristown - a new restaurant from Chris Cannon

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morristown Record reports on a new restaurant proposal in the Vail Mansion. This huge Golden era marble building has been the town hall, police HQ, and "front door" for a luxury apartment project. N

NJ Monthly reports that Executive Chef Kevin Sippel has left Jockey Hollow, and moved back to Buffalo to care for his ailing parents. Sippel's long time chef de cuisine, Michael O'Shea will take over.

If true, that's one helluva lotta tasting.

Indeed. And they have outdoor seating which can be reserved. It takes us at least an hour — and more if there is traffic — to get to Morristown. The current menu doesn’t make it worth the journey. Presuming Valenti does a complete revision, and it appeals to us, we’ll see about going there.

Of course I don't know the deal, arrangement, etc. -- but Tom Valenti is the real deal. A top, seasoned pro. I know that after he closed Oxbow, he was hoping/wanting to open a new place eventually, and while again I don't know it as fact, I would think if he wanted/needed financial backing, he would have been able to find it rather easily. Maybe the world has changed. I don't know.

Regardless, I am very interested to see what they do at JH when he joins. Is CC bringing him in to do his/the JH thing, or is he going to let Tom do his own thing? Something in the middle? Interested to see.

Now you've got me thinking about his lamb shanks. SO good...I've got the recipe. Might be time to dig it out. But I usually only cook them in the winter. Hard to want the oven on that long when the temperature outside is over 100.

We had his lamb shank once when he was executive chef at Butterfield 81 on the UES (the only restaurant he’s helmed that we’ve been to). It will be interesting to see if he puts it on the menu here.

• 5 weeks later...

They’ve now added the line “Executive Chef Tom Valenti” under “Summer Dinner Menu 2022.” The menu itself has not totally changed. Pretty much as it was with, I think, a few new additions. 

I remember his cooking at Ouest on the UWS. Big booths too.

I had to look up the name of the place and I was curious to see chefdb.com has him absolutely nowhere after 2015. He must have been doing something.