Margaret Thatcher

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure she will not receive the quiet reverence that Chavez received on this board but, a celebration is a bit much. At the very least an important advancement for women.

I am certain that my Brit (born in Iran, moved to UK as a child) b-i-l is giddy with delight. He loathed her.

Yeah, if I were you I'd move somewhere nicer.

Nothing could have saved the shipyards or the coal pits. To me the problem wasn't that they closed, but rather how she dealt with closing them.

Of course, but that's why she was hated. She had the complete contempt for the working class that only a grocer's daughter could feel. And, my god, the fake accent.

Will nobody give her credit for retaking the Falklands? Where would England

be without them?

Only a matter of time until the food blogging community discovers them.

the most consumed dishes are the fish fillets or the grilled fish, the seafood salads with local herbs and the sea trout, served with fritters or steamed veggies. The smoko is well known in all Falkland Islands and it basically consists in a snack of tea or coffee and homemade cakes. In Camp, there are many homemade dishes and very traditional meals, while in ports or towns, like Stanley, the restaurants provide a mixture of more cuisines, but the most important one remains the British, as the traditional British meal fish and chips is very popular.

There was an interesting comparison on Bloomberg last night. The speaker was atempting to cut through the Thatcher hagiography, and simultaneously make sense of what was happening.

He made an analogy to the 1970s and early 1980 in New York, when graffiti was rampant, AIDS and drugs were ravishing communities, a Jewish scholar was killed by a mob, and there was a general sense that "the whole place was on a road to hell". There was a general sense that the place was ungovernable.The tragedy of the Central Park jogger case and the need to arrest and convict people was a consequence of that sense.

The speaker noted that Britain in the 1970s was a similar place. Dark, dirty, beset with strikes, uncollected garbage, income inequality, and a sense that things would never get better. Many workers saw the improvements of the Atlee era being ripped away from them, as National Health, British Gas, the Railway, etc were stripped down or sold off.

That may be overstating each position, but losing a cradle to grave safety net / social contract in a few years is traumatic.

[Edited to include social contract in the final sentence]

From the grauniad --

There should be no dancing on her grave but it is right there is no state funeral either. Her legacy is of public division, private selfishness and a cult of greed, which together shackle far more of the human spirit than they ever set free.

I was concerned that there might be an attempt to mount a big state funeral, Churchill-style, but I think Cameron would rather put the legacy behind him. Not to mention, it would no doubt be disrupted.