Sign in to follow this  
Lex

Spring 2013

At the Brooklyn Botanic Garden the magnolias are getting set to blossom. The effect is dramatic, in its own way as striking as when the cherry trees open. And as a special bonus the crowds are really manageable. Last Saturday was the lead up - the real fireworks will take place next weekend.

In the meantime here's a sampling. Besides the magnolias the tulips are coming up in sections (the garden arranges plots so that new sections blossom every week) and the daffodils are hitting their stride.

8632542234_f5a9e46371_z.jpg

8631436621_d54173092e_z.jpg

8631436565_b77b5a4315_z.jpg

8631436441_8d567391a6_z.jpg

8632542048_5c46652ec6_z.jpg

• Like 32

I had the pleasure of inviting a couple of friends down to DC to see the cherry blossoms 2 weeks ago. Of course, when they came to visit, not a single blossom had opened. At least Jaleo was good, and by the time I get to DC in a week or two, all the blossoms will be gone.

Thanks for the pix!

By the way, if you've never seen the blossoms in DC at peak bloom, it's pretty awesome.

The magnolias will be open next Saturday. Considering the crazy crowds that show up for the festival in many ways it's more enjoyable.

If the weather is good sometimes I take off the Friday before the festival (assuming the cherry trees are in bloom.) You have the place almost to yourself and really get to appreciate everything.

Last week I mentioned that we’re about to enter peak blooming season at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. I hope you went this past weekend. If you didn’t, here’s what you missed.

8649931251_4252f8f5f8_z.jpg

8651030088_35e88fdeb4_z.jpg

8651028660_e8c28e0637_z.jpg

8651027490_739e58e909_z.jpg

8649926425_ce2cf5bae6_z.jpg

8649924717_e3a818243a_z.jpg

8651023360_1a440ef704_c.jpg

Beautiful photos.

Our tulips are up, as well as several other things.. Miss A made these little vases out of tulips and flowering broccoli.

8671537611_2be5179167_z.jpg

Some irises and Forsythia

8671607015_6fca99efd8_z.jpg

Don't see as much forsythia in Manhattan as I used to growing up in Queens. Maybe it's more a "home" plant than a "park" one? Anyway, I miss it. Thanks for the photos. Do you always take pictures in the bathroom? :huh: :lol:

The weather today. Just fucking disgusting. Started off cold and clammy, promising to finish warm and sticky. Here comes another disgustingly humid summer.

But today? Aaaaaaaaaaah. Thank goodness the window guy came on Monday so I can open them and have them stay open. :)

aaaaaaaah-choooooooooooo! :angry:

MONSOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazingly heavy sheets of rain for a few minutes. Splashed about 3 feet of the way into the kitchen from the open window in the 30 seconds or so before we got it closed. Now just moderate rain. I hope the farmers et al at the Greenmarkets were already packed up, if their neighborhoods got it, too.

We hid out in Grand Central for the whole rainstorm. We were too late for the train show, but we did get to ride the old cars that were working the GCT shuttle.