Explosions at the Boston Marathon

So Steve R.'s comment about boats wasn't all that far-fetched . . .

Kid was probably shitting himself, even if he did have an ideology that supported what was done. (Note that I am careful not to say "what he did." Innocent until proven, and all--that's the Merkin way.)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many Injured in Explosions at Boston Marathon By KEN BELSON and MARY PILON A series of explosions were reported near the finish line at the Boston Marathon on Monday, according to several media o

red cross registry for anyone trying to locate friends and family in boston

Fucking Caucasians.   Never up to any good.

The Ambassador of the Czech Republic to the US issued a statement about the incident

http://www.mzv.cz/washington/en/czech_u_s_relations/news/statement_of_the_ambassador_of_the_czech.html

The highlight:

As more information on the origin of the alleged perpetrators is coming to light, I am concerned to note in the social media a most unfortunate misunderstanding in this respect. The Czech Republic and Chechnya are two very different entities - the Czech Republic is a Central European country; Chechnya is a part of the Russian Federation.

:lol:

(snip)

A thought probably appreciated by the folks in the Republic of Georgia as well. They even grow peaches over there...

(Note that I am careful not to say "what he did." Innocent until proven, and all--that's the Merkin way.)

The American way (and English way) is to presume they are innocent in the courtroom, and to presume they are guilty everywhere else.

(Note that I am careful not to say "what he did." Innocent until proven, and all--that's the Merkin way.)

The American way (and English way) is to presume they are innocent in the courtroom, and to presume they are guilty everywhere else.

Yeah, well, I've been considered un-American by some.

I mentioned to Dee last night that it seemed like a modern version of Orson Welles' War of the Worlds.

On ABC, at least, it was a breathless report. Followed by "we understand that police are moving toward the intersection of X and Y". Loud helicopter noise. Phone call from residents reporting police in the backyards of 42 and 44 Franklin, etc.

I was totally engaged...

i think it's going to be another story about the absurdity of religion.

Eh, if it weren't religion there would be some other reason.

their uncle suggests that their total lack of direction left them open to accepting without question someone else's very bad ideas (with little comprehension of those ideas) with these tragic consequences.

Thanks Steve R.

We move onboard next month. The marina is secure but the only time this security level is reached when a LNG tanker comes by. I wish I was more insistent on you sampling the toro I had on ice.. :)

I didn't make up the handgun comment. I heard it from a local NBC news guy; who suggested the Watertown resident would likely feel safer if they were armed. Quickly realized his faux pas. People in Watertown were told to not open their doors unless they saw law enforcement/military. In a hi rise, no one knocks on my door; no need or desire for a gun.

http://uwire.com/2013/04/20/massive-rally-takes-place-in-boston-common-after-second-marathon-bombing-suspect-taken-into-custody/

I was awoken by chants of USA, USA late last night. Mixed feeling about a celebration with 170 ish people still hospitalized but I guess they needed to let off some steam after a hellacious week.

NPR had an interesting comment in yesterday's afternoon's coverage of the investigations.

One of their people interviewed friends of the elder brother's wife. These friends observed that the woman was originally Christian, but Tamerlan forced her to convert. That seemed to be OK for a while, but following his return from the several months duration Russian trip, he began to badger her to become more observant, more obedient, etc. Distinct change of attitude, say her friends.

I believe the couple became estranged toward the end of 2012

It's pretty depressing, isn't it? A 19 year old killing an eight year old, a 20 year old killing five and six year olds. Is this a story about terrorism, or about alienated and socially disengaged boys?

Just so; they are often linked aren't they -- most terrorist movements rely on a supply of alienated young boys.

It's pretty depressing, isn't it? A 19 year old killing an eight year old, a 20 year old killing five and six year olds. Is this a story about terrorism, or about alienated and socially disengaged boys?

Just so; they are often linked aren't they -- most terrorist movements rely on a supply of alienated young boys.

there was an interesting nytimes article about alienated korean american men (the murders at virginia tech and oikos were both perpetrated by korean americans--both were naturalized americans, if that makes a difference).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/magazine/should-it-matter-that-the-shooter-at-oikos-university-was-korean.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Good catch.

Closed captioning is always fun when the speakers are live, discussing complicated or technical jargon. Bloomberg news, C-Span hearings, etc are especially good for this stuff.

Many food or HGTV channel content comes with the closed captioning already embedded in the production company supplied feed.