Is designer mayonnaise the new bacon?

Elizabeth Palmer Starnes has an article on Devil Gourmet positing that designer mayo is the hot new food preparation.

Enter Empire Mayonnaise Co. – the Brooklyn based storefront that sells one thing and one thing only: mayonnaise. They sell upwards of 850 jars of the stuff each week, at $6 a pop, no less. Founded in 2011 by Sam Mason (formerly of NYC’s WD-50), Empire Mayo sets itself apart through quality. They use non-GMO oil and organic, pasture raised eggs, and local, seasonal flavors in their specialty varieties. Each jar is produced by hand, and sold either in their small Brooklyn shop, online, or through one of their retail distributors, including Dean and DeLuca, West Elm, Smorgasburg.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/dining/index.ssf/2013/04/is_designer_mayonaise_the_new.html#incart_river

Non-GMO canola oil, pasteurized egg yolks, vinegar, organic lemon oil, salt, an all-natural stabilizer blend (xanthan and guar gums).

Seriously, Sam, you couldn't get it to mayo up without xanthan? Seriously?

Non-GMO canola oil, pasteurized egg yolks, vinegar, organic lemon oil, salt, an all-natural stabilizer blend (xanthan and guar gums).

damn those pasteurized egg yolks

They might as well be buying it from Kraft and adding flavorings...

Naw. Kraft lists:

Soybean oil, water, eggs, egg yolks, vinegar; contains less than 2% of sugar, salt, lemon juice concentrate, calcium disodium EDTA as a preservative, dried garlic, dried onions, spice, natural flavor

Probably already more flavor than theirs (if their mayo is anything like the artisanal ketchup I've had)..

380-97870.png380-281195-ProductsDetail_Hero_SWRanch_3

• 7 years later...

Last night we had lobster rolls, with steamed and broiled lobster I'd made when lovely spouse was away for a week, and for the rolls she made fine mayonnaise from scratch. (Eleven years together, yet we're in weird disagreement on how much she likes lobster; we each claim that the other has avoided buying it.)

Now I'm craving mayonnaise for the first time in two decades, after a history of throwing out once-opened jars. I grew up loving Seidner's from Pawcatuck/Westerly, Rhode Island, maybe because my mother grew up in what had been Otto Seidner's yolk-colored house. But it's sold only locally, and it's provenance is a mystery.

Aside from last night's fresh mayo, all I know is Hellman's from others' sandwiches. Sneak has praised Duke's, and I see Kewpie in my Asian shopping. What should I buy?

Hellman's remains my favorite of the kinds I've tried (I think Kewpie is too sweet), but I've been meaning to try Sir Kensington. Maybe you should go first.