Input Sought on Small Game Birds

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if it's illegal to trap quail in California. They are our state bird (unless you're on the freeways, in which case the middle finger will suffice).

We have several quail families that scurry across our land.

Hmmm, are they worth anything? But they're so cute. The babies are like little commas when they run.

I know Cabrales was most likely inquiring about NY restaurants serving small game birds..here is an excellent NJ source for anyone looking to purchase them for their own cooking.. http://www.griggstownquailfarm.com/index.asp

The Griggstown Quail Farm is one of Dartagnan's suppiers as well. This market also has a small selection of home meade made foods, and their chicken or turkey pot pies are great...however, they only make a 8-9" size, I wish they made individual pot pie servings...worth having in the freezer for those all too common pot pie emergencies!

Now's the moment: what is the difference between poussins and Cornish game hens, which we don't have here? This question has been bugging me for a ridiculous number of years.

v

The rock cornish game hen is a particular breed which remains small. A poussin is, as far as I know, just a baby chicken (Adam?). The former seem to have a bit more flavour but I wouldn't go out of my way for either.

Now's the moment: what is the difference between poussins and Cornish game hens, which we don't have here?  This question has been bugging me for a ridiculous number of years.

v

The rock cornish game hen is a particular breed which remains small. A poussin is, as far as I know, just a baby chicken (Adam?). The former seem to have a bit more flavour but I wouldn't go out of my way for either.

Like a bantam? Anyway, I've never had a poussin that wasn't horrid.

v

You can also poach them in anything from wine to broth to milk and water, with seasoning and your choice of fresh herbs: tarragon is nice. They cook very quickly, especially if you cover the pan.

I am still kicking myself for not buying the squirrel I saw for sale up in Harlem last year. It is going to be very difficult to find the store again, as I didn't write down the block.

Lots of people hunt and eat squirrel in Kentucky. I am not very fond of it. It is traditional in burgoo, and its also fried in a cast iron skillet and served with biscuits and milk gravy.

What does it taste like? Not chicken, I presume?

The squirrel tastes like a very gamey rabbit sort of.  More along the lines of the cuy - that's a good comparison, Wilf.

People are eating squirrels that are raised for human consumption though, right? No one is eating squirrels from parks and neighborhoods, right? :lol: