Hipsters and Cultural Diversity

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The New York Times gives Torst a short blurb. They have a DJ - who knew?

It's a wonder of Twitter but when I posted it the link was simply about a guy complaining that his picture was used without permission to illustrate "all hipsters look alike", only it wasn't his pict

I don't think it's an affectation with them, either. I think it's a result of the sudden availability of all music with almost no effort.   The kind of stuff I had to search out in the most remote

Or else it opens up a candy box of stuff you would like but otherwise wouldn't have known about.

I'm not kidding: just listen to Kyrgyzstani mountain folk music.

I once spent a night in a yurt with a kyrgyz shepherd and his guitar. He really wanted to stretch himself for the western crowd so he ended the night with a rousing "hotel california"

Why choose?

(This all deserves it's own thread).

Why choose? Go read some Kyrgyzstani literature. Kulmambetov looks like a good bet.

But of course, neither you nor I can, because--as Harold Bloom says, in a similar context--"time will not relent."

Sure, anyone can let some music pass between their ears, but that's no substitute for a discriminating engagement with it, any more than looking up Kyrgyzstani writers on Wikipedia opens up that literature to me.

...a lot of "we are citizens of the world" venues are just "we are hip" show off places where no one really likes the stuff, they just like the idea of liking the stuff.

Right, and it's emblematic of the way These People generally engage with the world. The guy with the beard, funny hat, and flip flops, sitting on the L Train doing crochet is not really into crochet. He's not even crocheting ironically (which I'd love to see). He's into what being-a-guy-on-the-subway-who-does-crochet adds to his carefully tailored image (and his attraction to the girl with the funny hat and the nose ring carrying the small, exotic, potted plant).

Why choose?

(This all deserves it's own thread).

Why choose? Go read some Kyrgyzstani literature. Kulmambetov looks like a good bet.

But of course, neither you nor I can, because--as Harold Bloom says, in a similar context--"time will not relent."

Sure, anyone can let some music pass between their ears, but that's no substitute for a discriminating engagement with it, any more than looking up Kyrgyzstani writers on Wikipedia opens up that literature to me.

As I said, you don't have to listen to any of this stuff.

What's good about it is that it isn't canonical. Nobody's gonna say that if you're not into Mento you're not seriously into music.

It's just there to be found, if you happen to find it. If not, no big deal.

The guy with the beard, funny hat, and flip flops, sitting on the L Train doing crochet is not really into crochet. He's not even crocheting ironically (which I'd love to see). He's into what being-a-guy-on-the-subway-who-does-crochet adds to his carefully tailored image (and his attraction to the girl with the funny hat and the nose ring carrying the small, exotic, potted plant).

oct2012lookatme.jpg?w=640

As I said, you don't have to listen to any of this stuff.

What's good about it is that it isn't canonical. Nobody's gonna say that if you're not into Mento you're not seriously into music.

It's just there to be found, if you happen to find it. If not, no big deal.

As long as I can mock anyone who chooses to curate it for a hipster audience. (I'm not suggesting it should be suppressed. It would take a Tuckerman to get a discussion like that going.)

...a lot of "we are citizens of the world" venues are just "we are hip" show off places where no one really likes the stuff, they just like the idea of liking the stuff.

Right, and it's emblematic of the way These People generally engage with the world. The guy with the beard, funny hat, and flip flops, sitting on the L Train doing crochet is not really into crochet. He's not even crocheting ironically (which I'd love to see). He's into what being-a-guy-on-the-subway-who-does-crochet adds to his carefully tailored image (and his attraction to the girl with the funny hat and the nose ring carrying the small, exotic, potted plant).

Flip flops? Sir, good sir, I know we're on good terms these days, but male hipsters in flip flops?

But sure, you're right, poseurs exist. Though we can't deny all the hipsters who are out there making really good products across a variety of disciplines (and then there are those that aren't, which are a thing too). I'm not quite sure how this is different from any social grouping, though. There are far more poseurs in the dining room of Daniel or Jean Georges than there are in Diner. And there are plenty of poseurs on the deck of the Frying Pan as well. They're all engaging with the world in the same way. And so what? At least the hipsters create good stuff.