Lex

Hipsters and Cultural Diversity

Well there’s always me.

It looks like “hipster” is here used to refer to non-conformist undergrounds or bohemias generally. I’ve been looking at these for years, going back as far as I can find them (which is around the end of the eighteenth century; and I should always say my comments are limited to Western Europe and North America).

One of a number of characteristics one finds repeated again and again is that a few individuals, who are often not the “famous” members of the group, are exemplars in terms of dress, style, speech, attitude, etc. The kernel of the group takes its cue from them, and those cues gradually filter out to wider circles as in part imitation, in part caricature.

From that perspective, I’ve never found uniformity among non-conformist underground’s surprising. Commonalities across time and cultures are intriguing too. I am happy that my findings seem to be supported by computer science.

i listened to a hipster say that he lives in Bushwick and he is surrounded by Hipsters..  So, even hipsters don't think they are hipsters...  You know whats in these days, cheesy gold chains from the 80's that have a charm that's usually written in cursive or like block lettering.  He was wearing one.. 

Yeah, it’s a pejorative term these days, but in the link seems to be a general term for hip people.

It's a wonder of Twitter but when I posted it the link was simply about a guy complaining that his picture was used without permission to illustrate "all hipsters look alike", only it wasn't his picture so haha.

• Like 2

It's a wonder of Twitter but when I posted it the link was simply about a guy complaining that his picture was used without permission to illustrate "all hipsters look alike", only it wasn't his picture so haha.

this is truly the best part of the story.. Imagine not being able to recognize your own self..That is insane to me.. I promise I am not hipster but, I am pretty identifiable,  at least to myself. 

sorry mistype