Sign in to follow this  
splinky

mamey

had my first mamey fruit today. oye mamey, where have you been all my life?!!!!!!

9381501926_d5c0687d40_n.jpg

9381502618_6720b19f61_n.jpg

9378715931_a215b0ff93_n.jpg

tomorrow, i learn to make mamey pie!

• Like 5

have you ever had sapodilla/chico? Looks like it's the same family, but mamey looks larger and more orange inside. I'm wondering if sapodilla and mamey are similar in flavour.

My mother loves sapodilla (whenever we travel through SEAsia, if she sees them at a market or roadside stand she'll pick up a dozen or so to snack on), but it's hard to find here. If I could get my hands on some mamey (and if the taste is similar), that just may keep her happy!

Similar flavor, I guess. Mamey is creamier (at least the ones I had) and only has one large pit.

Splinky, Puerto Rico is good for fruit. But what you really need to do is get to Colombia. You will not BELIEVE how great the fruit is there. Mamey, all the rest, and a few you've never heard of before, all at the absolute height. Really, you will literally not believe it.

have you ever had sapodilla/chico? Looks like it's the same family, but mamey looks larger and more orange inside. I'm wondering if sapodilla and mamey are similar in flavour.

My mother loves sapodilla (whenever we travel through SEAsia, if she sees them at a market or roadside stand she'll pick up a dozen or so to snack on), but it's hard to find here. If I could get my hands on some mamey (and if the taste is similar), that just may keep her happy!

i will probably try the sapodilla today. i think they had some for dessert last night but i fell asleep before dinner. there is also some breadfruit in the kitchen. at breakfast we will debate our approach to making a mamey pie. hopefully don placido will oblige and peel them for us again. peeling mamey is a pain in the ass.

Splinky, Puerto Rico is good for fruit. But what you really need to do is get to Colombia. You will not BELIEVE how great the fruit is there. Mamey, all the rest, and a few you've never heard of before, all at the absolute height. Really, you will literally not believe it.

someday, i will get to colombia. i thought i would make it to the DR this week on one of those ferry trips but they tend to run late and it looked like there was a good chance i'd return too late to catch my flight home.

If I go to PR I want to stay where you're staying!

I will search out some mamey. I was thinking it might be even harder to find than sapodilla since there are fewer SA/CA grocery stores where I am, but it's worth a try!

sadly, the greenmarket wasn't open yesterday because of a tropical storm warning. hoping to make it to la placita to check out some more fresh fruit. i think we're planning to eat out today for brunch and dinner.

When we went to isla mujeres, we would buy mamey off the people on the street.. They were so beautiful and ripe, it was ridiculous. We would eat at least one a day. Miss A is cuban so, she has great memories of eating mamey as a kid. Most every cuban place offers mamey batidos or shakes. I buy the frozen mamey pulp in Elizabeth NJ and we will make them at home. Mamey, milk, sugar, blender. They are so delicious. We have made a few mamey flavored desserts at bite club over there years.

Fairway was selling mamey 5 or 6 years ago, last time I noticed them. But, they may have them always.