Sign in to follow this  
splinky

burr grinders

I use a Skerton at work - its very handy for one cup of coffee.

ETA: and yes - my coworkers response is exactly as you would expect

Years (okay, decades) ago, when I was working in Silicon Valley, I used to grind and brew my own coffee at my desk - for my boss and me. I know what the coworkers thought then - that I was nuts.

i think i'll look for a deal on the baratza and maybe get a small kitchenaid for $30 in the meantime.

The Baratza is your best bet. It will end up costing you the same as 30 cups of coffee bought at a coffee shop.

i haven't bought 30 cups of coffee in my lifetime. lol

Being a cop you get them free with your gluten free donuts?

I'm just doing drip at home until I get a machine, and a manual burr grinder works amazingly well. Not Hario but some other local product.

How often/much are you looking to grind, Splinky?

If you're not grinding out 4 cups a day or something crazy, I'd go with a manual -- the Skerton mentioned upthread is a good choice. You'll pay the same as the kitchenaid (or whatever cheap electric) but the results will be a lot better.

turning the crank doesn't require that much strength but you need a steady hand to hold it to prevent beans from coming out of the top when the grinding hits a snag.

the blue bottle coffee in williamsburg, which would be a nice place to buy 30 coffees, has them on display if you want to see one before you buy it. they also have some nicer looking hand grinders that are tempting. I'm sure there's a lot of other places in nyc that have them too. sweat leaf, which isn't too far from court square, is a nice place to buy beans and a nice pour over.

what about the canister c from hario? i won't be traveling with the grinder at all. i'm thinking i might be able to use an electric scewdriver instead of the handle if it turns out to be too effort to turn

I haven't used it but the metal top has to be an improvement over the plastic top in the skerton. assuming the burr is the same of course.

It really isn't very much effort - especially on a coarser grind.

I actually sort of suspect the lever will allow you to apply more torque by hand than an electric screwdriver would be able to apply.

I don't think the screwdriver would be easier to use because you'd still have to hold it still with your other hand, which is were most of the effort goes anyway.

FWIW I dislike the Skerton - I find that the shaft wobbles around quite a bit, and as such it tends not to produce a consistent grind. A lot of people seem to modify their Skertons to keep the shaft more fixed in place.

Also the few times I tried to use it to make pourover for myself at work, I got made fun of relentlessly by my coworkers.

I think the metal top of the one splinky posted would fix the problems with the skerton. I may buy one.