:rolleyes:

It's the same amount of over-ordering that a normal 3-course starter-main-dessert is. This is why 3 starters at Juni is a relevant comparison - actually the most relevant comparison.

Why not stop over-ordering?

And three starters at Juni would be more expensive than The Elm unless you ordered the three most expensive small plates at The Elm.

• Like 2
  • Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Juni gets a website.   From the Times article:     Opens Monday in the Hotel Chandler in midtown.

20+40+15=60.   Oh dear. Or rather, "huh"?

Why not stop over-ordering?   And three starters at Juni would be more expensive than The Elm unless you ordered the three most expensive small plates at The Elm.

Posted Images

No, really, you can't. Not if you go by yourself, anyway.

The solo diner issue is distinct, I think, but two people can certainly eat a conventional three course meal at The Elm for less than $75 a head. Are we all looking at different menus?

The way I explain The Elm to people who go with me is that one "single" plate plus either another "single" plate or half of a share is slightly too little, and that two "single" plates plus either another "single" plate or half a share is slightly too much. I leave it up to them to decide which way they want to go. (Of course, if you insert a shared cheese course, the one plus one option is less "too little".)

But would you think the average diner, served say the gnudi, half the pork belly or chicken, and an Eton Mess, would say "That is certainly not a three course meal, it's just some hors d'oeuvres or something"?

Cost: $55.

The way I explain The Elm to people who go with me is that one "single" plate plus either another "single" plate or half of a share is slightly too little, and that two "single" plates plus either another "single" plate or half a share is slightly too much. I leave it up to them to decide which way they want to go. (Of course, if you insert a shared cheese course, the one plus one option is less "too little".)

Well, from the pictures and descriptions of the food I've seen, I think most people here would opt for 2 singles and a share which would make the food bill $65 plus dessert.

But would you think the average diner, served say the gnudi, half the pork belly or chicken, and an Eton Mess, would say "That is certainly not a three course meal, it's just some hors d'oeuvres or something"?

Cost: $55.

Certainly my friends who choose the "slightly too little" option never walk away feeling like they haven't had dinner, no.