I cannot think of a precedent that either confirms or refutes your hypothesis. You appear to start from a premise that Hergatt is a fairly trivial figure, so that colors your thinking.

I think Adrian is a great disadvantage from not having visited the restaurants.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Juni gets a website.   From the Times article:     Opens Monday in the Hotel Chandler in midtown.

20+40+15=60.   Oh dear. Or rather, "huh"?

Why not stop over-ordering?   And three starters at Juni would be more expensive than The Elm unless you ordered the three most expensive small plates at The Elm.

Posted Images

The sole point I'm making here is that there's nothing in the SHO story - based solely on what the Times had to say about the piece - that necessitates a review of Juni. The argument for Juni is based on the non-NYTpraise lavished on SHO by Michelin and Mouthfuls and Ozersky and Yelp.

No, not at all. Forget Shaun Hergatt. Forget SHO. Whoever the chef is, an opening at Juni's intended level always gets reviewed. Oakie can't come up with counter-examples, and if he can't nobody can. The Michelin stars just rub it in.

And this meme that only MF and Yelp liked SHO is pure fantasy. Check online.

The sole point I'm making here is that there's nothing in the SHO story - based solely on what the Times had to say about the piece - that necessitates a review of Juni. The argument for Juni is based on the non-NYTpraise lavished on SHO by Michelin and Mouthfuls and Ozersky and Yelp.

No, not at all. Forget Shaun Hergatt. Forget SHO. Whoever the chef is, an opening at Juni's intended level always gets reviewed. Oakie can't come up with counter-examples, and if he can't nobody can. The Michelin stars just rub it in.

And this meme that only MF and Yelp liked SHO is pure fantasy. Check online.

I thought hard and long about having to agree with Wilf again but I am with his post.

I think Adrian is looking at Juni as just another mid-level hotel restaurant while others see it as a restaurant with worthy enough aspirations for a review that happens to be in a hotel. Hergatt is sort of beside the point.

You're not thinking through the argument.

Why is Juni a mandatory review? Your argument seems to be that it's a restaurant of a certain level of ambition and those restaurants also get reviewed. But that's not just what Juni is - Juni is a restaurant opened by a chef who has a track record with the Times. That track record is mediocre at best.* Without the supporting evidence - the Michelin stars, the praise from other quarters - there's nothing about Hergatt's track record with the Times, nor his prior resume that necessitates a review. It's merely the level of ambition - but does everyone who can get access to capital to open an ambitious restaurant get a mandatory review slot?

Or, if Juni had opened in 1991 as a second act for a chef with a decent hotel restaurant resume but whose first act had already been closely examined by the Times and been deemed mediocre at best, would there be clamoring for a mandatory review? You're in a world without Michelin, you're in a world without blogs and boards, who would notice the omission?

*ETA: which isn't a claim about the quality of Juni. I don't know the quality of Juni, but the point here isn't about Juni per se.

ETA 2: If Oakfrid got the capital to open an F3 place where oak did FOH and Wilfrid manned the stoves, would it be a mandatory review?

You're not reading what I wrote. You're not thinking through the argument. I wanna fight...

"Mandatory review" is a construct. All reviews are discretionary, except apparently Tavern on the Green.

Nobody can think of an example of a restaurant like Juni being ignored before. It's happened to the same chef twice. That's all.

But the argument that some are making for Juni is that it's per se mandatory without the noise from Michelin, the boards, the blogs.

That's clearly a category of restaurant - Anne Sophie Pic's place was destined for a review the second it was announced, regardless of Michelin or the blogs.

Of course, I think Juni is per se mandatory because Hergatt has two Michelin stars and Michelin stars are a pretty big deal. But if you remove those stars, and look at the case for Juni being a "mandatory" review, it seems to me that the case is much weaker - not a star studded resume, lukewarm response from the Times for the first restaurant. Did places like that get skipped in the past? The data would be interesting. But the point is how Michelin changes the reviewing dynamic compared to its (hypothetical) absence.

It's frustrating, because I feel like I'm reiterating this argument over and over and people aren't really thinking about it. Am I being unclear?

Right. So it's not a "mandatory" review, it's a discretionary one. So what's your decision rule?

Now we are going to parse what discretionary and mandatory means. Once the positive noise comes out it becomes mandatory that it be reviewed.

That seems so obvious you shouldn't need to type it but the point needs to be made again.

The Times has a right to review Juni and not like it but ignoring it seems childish and unprofessional. Like not covering a political campaign because the editor doesn't like a particular politician.