The debate here started over whether Juno and luksus were both mandatory reviews. I think they both are. Some don't. So, what makes a mandatory nyt review?

Junis an interesting case, because a big part of the "mandatory" argument is premised on Michelin (and to a lesser extent blogs boards and review sites). Of course, that may not be why some people think Juni is mandatory. I think that without michelin, the case for a mandatory nyt review is much, much weaker. Others may not.

Figuring out what we mean when we say a review is mandatory is interesting. Also, how what is mandatory may have changed and what changed it. Or it's not interesting. whatever.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Juni gets a website.   From the Times article:     Opens Monday in the Hotel Chandler in midtown.

20+40+15=60.   Oh dear. Or rather, "huh"?

Why not stop over-ordering?   And three starters at Juni would be more expensive than The Elm unless you ordered the three most expensive small plates at The Elm.

Posted Images

do any of you really give a fuck about any of this?

You do?

it keeps me up at night. each morning i wake up in the hope that one of you will finally have cracked the code, but no. i'm beginning to think it's because you don't really care--it's just another excuse to have an argument. whatever happened to the mouthfuls we knew, where people cared about restaurants and each other?

Ah, the good old days.

ETA: Back when Mongomania...:D

The debate here started over whether Juno and luksus were both mandatory reviews. I think they both are. Some don't. So, what makes a mandatory nyt review?

Junis an interesting case, because a big part of the "mandatory" argument is premised on Michelin (and to a lesser extent blogs boards and review sites). Of course, that may not be why some people think Juni is mandatory. I think that without michelin, the case for a mandatory nyt review is much, much weaker. Others may not.

Figuring out what we mean when we say a review is mandatory is interesting. Also, how what is mandatory may have changed and what changed it. Or it's not interesting. whatever.

I reject the term "mandatory." I also think Michelin is beside the point. I have no idea when SHO was awarded its Michelin stars, but probably long after it would normally have been reviewed.

No reviews are mandatory. For me, it's very surprising that Juni hasn't been reviewed--rising to the level of incredibly surprising after the ten month delay on reviewing SHO.

Does anyone here not find it surprising that Juni and Luksus haven't been reviewed?

do any of you really give a fuck about any of this?

You do?

it keeps me up at night. each morning i wake up in the hope that one of you will finally have cracked the code, but no. i'm beginning to think it's because you don't really care--it's just another excuse to have an argument. whatever happened to the mouthfuls we knew, where people cared about restaurants and each other?

Ah, the good old days.

ETA: Back when Mongomania... :D

i think we can all agree that mongomania at its height was the greatest food forum ever.

• Like 1

We had dinner at Juni last Saturday, our second time there. While the first meal we had last year a few days after they opened was very good, this one was superior. The "Cherry Ripe" alone was worth the visit -- an utterly delicious foie gras. We chose to do four courses. However, after the flurry of hors d'oeuvres, Chef Hergatt started us off with a gifted course: Smoked Trout for Michael; Live Montauk Scallop for me. We both had the aforementioned "Cherry Ripe" followed by the Branzino and then diverged with Michael choosing the veal while I opted for the squab. We also selected different desserts.

A pleasant surprise was discovering that Daniel Beedle, whom we know from his previous positions at The NoMad and betony, is now Juni's Beverage Director. As usual, Michael did pairings. With the exception of the Champagne and the Tokaji, the wines were poured using the Coravin. (The wine that accompanied the trout and a chocolate cocktail at the end were comped.)

Chef Hergatt stopped by our table twice to chat. He mentioned that he will be changing the menu format. The 4-course will be eliminated, and there will be two 6-course menus, one of them vegetarian, plus an extensive tasting menu.

I'm really sorry we waited so long to go back. That will not happen again.

Imo, Juni's Michelin star is very well deserved.

Photos

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...