• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Juni gets a website.   From the Times article:     Opens Monday in the Hotel Chandler in midtown.

20+40+15=60.   Oh dear. Or rather, "huh"?

Why not stop over-ordering?   And three starters at Juni would be more expensive than The Elm unless you ordered the three most expensive small plates at The Elm.

Posted Images

Herbivore: $98

Omnivore: $125

Tasting: $185

Did all three last night, though it took some negotiation to get around the "tasting menu must be ordered by everyone at the table" rule (to preserve coursing, apparently). In the end, we agreed to eliminate two savories (one was duplicated on the omnivore) and one dessert, which lowered the price to $155. It was a lot of food. Everything was excellent. Veal, crab, bulghur wheat, and mushroom dishes stood out for me. Meal took ca. 3 hours (we were among the last diners at 12:30 am). I have to say that the divided layout is kinda problematic, with the bar area being really dreary.

ETA: cocktails are $18

They are no longer listing the menu items for each of the three dinner options on the website. Instead, there's just a generalized statement/description of what to expect. Still no prices, so it's good we now know what they are thanks to cinghiale.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone recall what the by-the-glass selection here is like (or the pairing)? The wine list, while quite nice at the very low end (plenty of good and cheap beaujolais cru) is rather odd and overpriced at the mid-range. Lots of lesser vintages, random producers, etc. The btg list is not on the website as far as I could tell.

This may be dated, but was my impression of pricing--no info on content, sorry:

A glance at the cocktails and wines by the glass is dispiriting. The former are predictably expensive, the latter start in the mid-teens and climb. Although the list offered gives only glass prices, a look inside the full wine list shows glass prices alongside bottle prices. A sparkling wine price of over $30 a flute looks greedy when the bottle is $75--although I suspect the bottle was underpriced. Anyway, it's a place to look for inexpensive bottles, and there are some regional wines in the $40-$50 bracket.

Enjoyable dinner. We had the herbivore and omnivore menus. The herbivore sounded surprisingly good and tasted (mostly) as good as it sounded. The only weird dish was "black olive ash, bulgur" which reminded us of green cottage cheese. Omnivore was solid. Favorite course was the suf clam and mushroom, least favorite was the meat - sous vide lamb and plums - yawn. Pairings were fun, and mostly very good matches. The food and drink together was quite a lot, by the second dessert (and 2nd dessert wine) we were barely touching our plates. Two peeves about the pairings - 1) the reds were both Languedoc/Roussillon grenaches. Look, I love wines from this region, I've travelled there, I drink them at home...but when I'm spending $700 for dinner for two, give me a red from a region that starts with "B" and is at least 10 years old. 2)The whites were served waaaay too cold. When you have about 15 minutes per glass, this is a problem, especially when many of the choices are oxidized/skin fermented styles.