It's worth careful thought. Would I be telling people to rush to Juni if The Elm hadn't opened this year? I don't think so, but the juxtaposition certainly benefits The Elm (and, yeah, price wise too).

I think my initial reaction, if anyone wants it, is that Juni isn't as good as SHO, and that's a pity. But hey, it's been open three weeks.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Juni gets a website.   From the Times article:     Opens Monday in the Hotel Chandler in midtown.

20+40+15=60.   Oh dear. Or rather, "huh"?

Why not stop over-ordering?   And three starters at Juni would be more expensive than The Elm unless you ordered the three most expensive small plates at The Elm.

Posted Images

It could even have opened on 57th St.

Are you sure? How would we know? No one would have gone.

If a restaurant makes great food and no one is there to taste it, is it delicious?

But seriously, there is a Brooklyn bias today that says anything that opens in Brooklyn (especially in Williamsburg) must be good or it wouldn't have opened in Brooklyn (especially in Williamsburg). My thinking is every restaurant there starts with an assumed three "mind" stars and it only gets demoted if there are more than six confirmed food poisoning cases.

In fact the last Brooklyn restaurant to get unfavorable reviews was Gargiulo's.

Sneakeater: That food looks way more tweezery than the food at L'Arpege.

Wilfrid: Would you have told people to rush to SHO, though? I think Juni is a good restaurant in its category.

nuxvomica: Well, now I know why the table next to us was getting food that looked better than the food we were getting, plus all the attention from the chef. Though I think it says a lot about me that I snuck looks at the food they were getting, and not at them. Sneaky camerawork on their part!

Don't you think it ought to be better, though, and that it's a bit sad that it isn't?

I know what you're saying. I wonder what I'd have thought if I hadn't eaten at The Elm this year.

Mulling my thoughts for a review.

As Taion keeps saying, The Elm has spoiled everything.

What are you saying? That there can only be one "it" restaurant at a time? That NYC isn't big enough for more than one very good restaurant? That you have no standards of your own against which to judge a place, but are only capable of A:B comparisons?

But since no one (at least foodies)is allowed eat in Manhattan anymore, the competition is just Brooklyn. It makes it easier.

As an aside - and since Paris, Copenhagen and Oslo restaurants feature New Brooklyn Cuisine only (NBC), how long will it be before all those lower Manhattan restaurants simply shut their doors and move to Long Island City in a last ditch effort to save their businesses? And begin the fad of News Queens Cuisine (NQC).

Just think, if the trend continues to the Bronx, the call letters will need to be either NBRC or NXC so not to confuse it with the aforementioned NBC.

Would make no difference.

It could even have opened on 57th St.

Well I agree with your basic point--and it is a good question--but I do wonder whether it could have opened in Manhattan. Again, comparisons with Juni, another hotel restaurant, are intriguing.

Wilfrid: Would you have told people to rush to SHO, though? I think Juni is a good restaurant in its category.

I did. (And I think you're right about Juni.)

I reviewed it twice in consecutive months, and also made a lot of fuss about dismissive press coverage.

In short, this is just evidently one of the most accomplished openings the city has seen this year - fine food, prettily executed - a fact brilliantly concealed from Times readers with a farrago of irrelevancies about Dubai and seasonality.

Of course, at the crest of the recession, it stood out from the pack as one of very few ambitious openings in that period.

I'm convinced The Elm would not be nearly as popular in Manhattan as it is in Brooklyn.

Several people gave the food mixed reviews on its thread. While no one disliked it, those reviews would have had more "bite" if the place was located in the Village or anywhere downtown. I call it the "Williamsburg Effect."

While there probably is a Williamsburg effect, The Elm is so much better than any of the competition that the effect is rendered irrelevant.

Again, Juni. I've been a supporter of Hergatt, and I'm programmed (Adrian would probably say) to like Juni. But The Elm is clearly better.

I would go to The Elm so much more often if it were in Manhattan below 34th Street.

One nice thing about Juni is that it does in fact feel a lot less like you're in Dubai or something. You know, I think the cut-up dining room that makes it feel very small and intimate actually is rather nice.