Would make no difference.

It could even have opened on 57th St.

Well I agree with your basic point--and it is a good question--but I do wonder whether it could have opened in Manhattan. Again, comparisons with Juni, another hotel restaurant, are intriguing.

I agree with you, that had The Elm opened in Manhattan, Chef Liebrandt and his backers wouldn't have felt compelled to make it so (relatively) inexpensive. (It's telling that the team's upcoming Manhattan restaurant looks like it will be quite expensive.) And it's possible that real estate costs help them on that -- although in Williamsburg I'm no longer sure (although that is a pretty woebegon stretch of Williamsburg).

In that sense, the Brooklyn trend actually makes some sense.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Juni gets a website.   From the Times article:     Opens Monday in the Hotel Chandler in midtown.

20+40+15=60.   Oh dear. Or rather, "huh"?

Why not stop over-ordering?   And three starters at Juni would be more expensive than The Elm unless you ordered the three most expensive small plates at The Elm.

Posted Images

The Elm doesn't feel at all like a "Brooklyn" restaurant. So any benefit it gets from any Williamsburg Effect is strictly locational, not cultural.

The feel doesn't matter in the "Williamsburg Effect." What matters is the travel to the area. You "gets" to tell your friends and associates that "you found" a place to eat in Williamsburg. You become all the rave - that's what really matters.

C'mon you know that.

The Elm doesn't feel at all like a "Brooklyn" restaurant. So any benefit it gets from any Williamsburg Effect is strictly locational, not cultural.

The feel doesn't matter in the "Williamsburg Effect." What matters is the travel to the area. You "gets" to tell your friends and associates that "you found" a place to eat in Williamsburg. You become all the rave - that's what really matters.

C'mon you know that.

'Found'??!! What Sneak said.

And Williamsburg is absolutely brimming with restaurants, it's hardly uncharted territory.

But the vast majority of people are not us. They don't belong to food boards or the like and going to Williamsburg is an adventure.

And yes, I mentioned The Elm to several friends and they thought it crazy to go to Williamsburg to eat. The comment was how did you find a place there?

But the vast majority of people are not us. They don't belong to food boards or the like and going to Williamsburg is an adventure.

And yes, I mentioned The Elm to several friends and they thought it crazy to go to Williamsburg to eat. The comment was how did you find a place there?

That seems like a Negative Williamsburg Effect.

Nobody could possibly say they "found" The Elm. It's like the major New York opening of the year. What's going to happen this year that's bigger than Paul Liebrandt opening a new restaurant?

Only until the next fad. Three months ago, Carbone was the biggest NYC food event of the year.

Three months from now Flay will partner with Paula Deen and open "Pigs and Chicks" in Long Island City and that will be the major event of the year.