I can't even get TW to offer me a decent price to get me to switch from RCN. And then we had the whole "the router is free! But you pay $5 a month to lease the modem -- which is built into the router!"

Am I missing something here or aren't you on the mac thread asking about a backup problem with your Time Capsule? Isn't that a router & wi-fi hub as well as a backup?

it is but he doesn't have a Time Capsule. he's using a Western Digital hard drive.

I went back to the other thread and now notice that he said he had a mac and used a "time machine". I assumed Time Capsule.... much as I'd assume a late interception thrown by Romo. I was incorrect (but only on the Time Capsule part). Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought there was a thread about this.   If I drop my cable subscription, I can find almost everything I need through Netflix, Hulu, etc. But I can't get live news programs. Roku has some news

Ask for the Festool 2200.

actually part of the time warner scam is that the phone service is free. if i only got internet and tv from them it would cost the same as the package with all three. the bundle that i have also promi

Posted Images

not really :)

"Time Machine" is the Apple backup utility....like many others.

"Time Capsule" is their networked external drive which can be used in conjunction with Time Machine or any other backup utility. Stone was explicitly talking about the former.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

When a customer service call is described as "Kafkaesque" and "hellish," you pretty much know how it's going to go down before even taking a listen. But in case you haven't heard the condescending, tedious call that's lit up the Internet, here it is:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/07/15/331681041/comcast-embarrassed-by-the-service-call-making-internet-rounds?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20140715

I'm amazed at how calm the customer remained.

I haven't turned my TV on in something like four years. So I called Cablevision (the walking corporate incarnation of pure evil) to see what it would cost if I cancelled my cable but kept my telephone and internet connections. The person spent more than 10 minutes trying to sell me cable packages that would cost me decreasing amounts more than the price she gave for internet and telephone without cable. I kept repeating that I don't watch any TV so I don't want to pay even a little more for it. Finally I started screaming. Then -- saying she couldn't understand why I would scream at her when she was only trying to help me -- she came up with a price for some level of cable service (I don't even know what) that, together with internet and telephone, would cost me less than she had told me, earlier in the call, internet and telephone alone would cost. I wonder if she had told me the truth about the internet/phone price.

They must do something terrible to these phone reps if they let someone cancel a service. I shudder to think of what.

The cable companies are all about the bundle and the special price which then goes up after the initial offer period expires. The thing is part of your fee is probably going to the Yankees and to the Mets et al. to meet their payrolls.

I haven't turned my TV on in something like four years. So I called Cablevision (the walking corporate incarnation of pure evil) to see what it would cost if I cancelled my cable but kept my telephone and internet connections. The person spent more than 10 minutes trying to sell me cable packages that would cost me decreasing amounts more than the price she gave for internet and telephone without cable. I kept repeating that I don't watch any TV so I don't want to pay even a little more for it. Finally I started screaming. Then -- saying she couldn't understand why I would scream at her when she was only trying to help me -- she came up with a price for some level of cable service (I don't even know what) that, together with internet and telephone, would cost me less than she had told me, earlier in the call, internet and telephone alone would cost. I wonder if she had told me the truth about the internet/phone price.

They must do something terrible to these phone reps if they let someone cancel a service. I shudder to think of what.

they never tell you the truth... and there's a very special place for those who dare to let a subscriber escape

Verizon will match the best deal that Cablevision or Comcast is offering in markets where they compete.

I called VZ when our initial FIOS package expired, and the rate jumped. They were happy to re-offer the initial package when I told them I wanted to cancel and go back to Comcast. With VZ in New Jersey, at least, your request to cancel service goes to a "retention desk" which is measured on their ability to keep your business. But you do need to have some valid alternative offer.

FIOS is currently running a TV campaign poking fun at the merger of the 8th worst cable + phone company (Comcast) with the 7th worst company (Time Warner). FIOS is first, of course, but Cablevision / Optimum isn't included in the survey.

I wasn't looking for a deal. I wasn't looking to negotiate down my cable charge. I really just wanted to stop paying for cable at all, since I genuinely never use it.

They are trying to tell you you have need to watch cable.